Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Link to DCs actual gun laws

I have some upcoming travel/work plans that may have me transitting through Ronald Reagan with cased firearms with layovers. While I am exploring other options (like using Dulles which is in Virginia not DC), I am trying to find a reference to the actual laws in DC. Can anyone point me to a website that lists them?

Alma,

If that's the case I may be ok. Basically I will need to go Charlotte to Reagan, work the week in Rossyln, Reagan to Match, Match to Reagan, work the week in Rossyln, Reagan to Charlotte with my guns. IF and that the BIG IF, I can do so legally and safely, I can push all the travel expense to my client (Uncle Sam), otherwise I might have to pick some of it up.

Race,

If I can't find a safe way, I won't be. That's why I am doing my research two months ahead of time. To CYA!

The airport itself is for sure in Virginia and all of the airport hotels are in Crystal City which is also in Virginia. The metro goes directly from the airport to Rosslyn but make sure you don't get on the wrong metro line or go one stop too far because then you are in DC.

There are also some good hotels at Rosslyn and as long at you stay on the correct side of the Potomac you won't have any problems.

Any idea what matches you would like to shoot? Some clubs shut down for the season.

yeah, best to avoid DC if possible.

Right now DC firearms laws are changing. who knows where they will settle.

I have a lot of opinions about the subject and I work in DC so I am paying attention.

I seriously doubt any non resident will be able to stop in DC with any firearm
for the foreseeable future.

I won't be shooting local matches in the area. Since my work assignment has been changed from FLETC/DoS Charleston to DoS Rossyln for Jan to July 2015, any match I travel to will have to be out of Ronald Reagan. I most likely will be staying at the Marriott Courtyard Rosslyn which is at the top of the hill about 3 blocks from the DoS Rosslyn office.

My rifle case (I will be traveling with either an F Class Rifle or a Shotgun depending on what match I am headed to) is covered with Rock Band stickers. Most people think it is a guitar case.

You can check out Peacemaker National Training Center which is about an hour and a half away. They do some long range as well as 3 Gun (starts back up in March I think). http://peacemakernational.com

Lots of pistol shooting in the area as well. More information about those can be found here:

https://www.codyhasammo.com/Articles.asp?ID=250

I live in northern virginia and have flown out of both Dulles and regan with cased firearms (handguns and longuns) with no issue. If you originating your trip at regan be sure to get there a little earlier than normal. When you check in you tell them you have a fire arm. They will get a TSA agent to inspect your firearm, case, and integrity of the locks. Some times this take a minute or two, sometimes you get an overzealous TSA agent that may call over others to make sure your good to go. This one time took me 15 minutes. Just check TSAs website for case and lock requirements and you should be good to go

Thanks!

I have flown with firearms before and know the TSA drill. My concern was just the DC laws. I did not want to end up like the poor people who try to check in at some airports and end up in jail because they are violating local laws. Since Reagan is not in DC I am good to go.