Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta Recoil Bounce? M92A1

Magsz

Ok...

So, guys, ive got some questions and i hope i clearly explain my issue.

First, the gun.

Beretta M92A1

Wolf 11 LB Recoil Spring

Wolf 19 LB 1911 hammer spring

Beretta Comp E2 Hammer

Hogue Extreme G10 Piranha Grips.

Grip tape on the front and backstraps.

Ammo:

147 Grain Bayou bullets 3.8 grains WST 130k power factor.

135 Grain Extreme RNFP 4.0 Grains WST 130k power factor

135 Grain Extreme N320 3.9 grains 130k power factor.

The gun is VERY hard to control and has a really weird "bounce" to it. My grip is not slipping and my wrists are only unlocking the teeniest amount. For whatever reason the gun "feels" like it is experiencing coil bind, ie the recoil spring is bottoming out on itself creating a whip like effect. The gun, and this is half of a joke, feels like im shooting a piece of spaghetti. I also suspect that perhaps the recoil buffer is basically getting pounded in the gun and may be accounting for part of the "wobble".

My friend insist that the M9A1 that we have in our little training club does NOT recoil like this BUT that gun is running a 12 lb recoil spring so i dont know if that could account for the difference.

Ive never shot a gun that tracks so poorly and im wondering what's up. Any thoughts in regard to this would be great! Thanks guys!

Id prefer to steer clear of dual stage spring setups, they always feel wonky to me.

I am going to try a 12 pound spring and go from there.

There are really only three recoil spring threads on this sub forum and there was a mix of people running 11 and 12 pound springs with the majority running 12 lb springs.

I went ahead and slowed down one more clip. You can see the gun wobbling around quite a bit.

I went ahead and slowed down one more clip. You can see the gun wobbling around quite a bit.

I see it. My engineer brain remembered some stuff from 40 years back. That kind of looks like what's called an "underdamped" response. But the system includes the gun and all of its internals as well as your hands and wrists. The grip looks strong based on the small muzzle lift. Is it possible you'd get a better muzzle return if you let it rise a little more to preload the wrist muscles to help bring it back down?

It's been years since I could shoot very well but I remember shooting my 92FS open gun and I got fastest accurate shots when I just relaxed and let the muzzle kind of do it's own thing. It flipped up but came right back down without much wobbling, I used the excursion time to prep the trigger and popped it as soon as the dot crossed the target again.

The more I tried to force the muzzle, the worse I shot.

I used to tell my boss when he tried to force the schedules on projects: things do have a natural rhythm and trying to force them to go faster usually makes everything go slower. He never listened.

Edited by bountyhunter

BH,

Good post and thank you for your consideration in trying to help me.

Im really not all that tensed up in that shot. I definitely understand what you're saying about allowing the gun to "flow" in its recoil cycle but it gets even MORE wonkey when i just let the gun do what it wants to do.

I cross posted this on another forum and when people couldnt seem to grasp what i was concerned about i likened shooting this gun to firing a wet noodle. You can really see the whip when the slide returns to battery and i find that i have to FIGHT harder in order to lessen that effect. This runs counter to what i am used to.

A great comparison shot is this:

The CZ looks to me like it has a lower bore axis relative to the wrist.

Aside from varying recoil springs, Beretta makes a D hammer spring about 30% lighter than standard which would reduce the peak recoil impulse by letting the slide unlock more easily. Othe than that, the gun is pretty much what it is.

Edited by bountyhunter

Take out the recoil buffer. The Model 92 has a 12 ounce slide, put in a 12 or 13 lb recoil spring. Make sure the aftermarket spring is not so long that it doesn't allow the slide to travel fully rearward, you may have to cut off some coils. And yes, the lighter the mainspring the better.

I should mention also, taking out the recoil buffer is an unfortunate joke in this case.

Edited by Whoops!

• 1 month later...

I have an Elite 1.

The Elite tracks way better than the 92A1 ever did.

The M9A1 Also tracked better but the lack of a "real" front sight prevents me from using that gun.

Edited by Magsz