Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.22 rimfire with pellets and nail gun blanks

jmorris

Topic on another forum had me trying out .22 cal pellets propelled by a nail gun blank today. I tried out the #2,3 and 4 power ranges today in a 24" .22 rimfire barrel. The #4 disintegrated the pellet but it looked like the #3 and #2 were making round holes in paper at 15 yds or so, so I fired a few at a .112" thick (11ga) steel plate and the #3 was pretty close to making it through, the #2 made a significant dent as well and my RWS 34 left nothing except the lead smear.

Got out the chronograph and the #2 sent the 14.3 grain pellet out at 2067 fps. The #3 went 2141 fps. Will note that the #4 load separated the case on both shots fired and the #3 separated 2 of 5 but the #2 load seemed ok.

IMG_20141018_123047_071_zps959ad9ff.jpg

Edit: it says on the box Not to use these in firearms, use this as information only.

Edited by jmorris

Did you cut off the Crimp on the blank and press the pellet in the case or did you place the pellet in ahead of the blank?

It would be interesting to see how some of the heavier pellets perform. My brother has a precharged pneumatic rifle that will dive a 26 grain pellet at 1150fps. The blanks should be able to surpass that.

Congratulations on your idea. If this gets out to the ammo manufacturers this might spur them into action.

A little competition is good for everyone

I did it years ago when I was a kid with starter pistol blanks and it was very quite and about the same power as a Benjamin air rifle (around 650 fps). After I used up the one tin I had of them, I never could find another blank that would work. Back then nailing blanks would just melt the pellets I had.

I would have never thought they would hold up to more than 2000 fps, guess I have more pellets to try out when I get some time.

My RWS 34 makes 15 ft/lb these make 133 ft/lb big difference.

Edited by jmorris

I have never had a problem with my 697 fps Benjamin air rifle taking squrrils and have taken one crow with the 34 at 98 yards.

IMG_20140118_144440_133_zpsee61f537.jpg

Just thought it was interesting. I have no practical use for it but I guess it's like my 50 BMG, just to do it.

I honestly don't know. I don't remember the last time I bought .22 ammo actually, I know it's all more expensive these days.

I will point out that these are not "down loaded" .22's and are likely on the quite high pressure side (why I used the firearm I did for the test). Sure it's only a 14.3 grain pellet but it is pushed so fast it has double the energy of some .22 short loads.

Went down to a construction supply store and saw pallets of .22 fastener blanks in the storage area. Would be nice if these manufacturers can convert some of there production to ammo.

I wouldn't imagine they would have a lot of reason to do that. Less costs and more profit in blanks rather than ammunition.

Just a pipe dream