Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Keeping powder measure full

Zzapp

I have read in more than one place to keep a Dillon 550 powder measure 3/4 full. I have also seen it mentioned not to mix powders even of the same lot. So how to keep 3/4 full without adding powder?

I started using the Uniquetek "baffle" for my powder measures and it seems to keep the powder throws consistent to the level of the baffle.

I have mixed powders from the same lot and not experienced any variation in velocity.

Don't know how you will keep a powder measure 3/4 full without adding powder. If I could do that then I'm set for life without having to buy anymore powder :goof:.

While I try to keep my measures pretty full, I've tested with several powders and, with ball powders, I get consistent drops all the way down to the measure is almost empty. With flake and stick powders, I don't see variations until it's down to the metal.

As to mixing, as mentioned, at some point you are going to have to add powder which means mixing. I've heard from some really bench rest shooters that different lots can run a little hotter or colder and I've seen some slight velocity changes at the chrono but I don't have the skill for 5-10fps to matter especially at pistol distances. Some BR shooters mix large powder lots together for more uniformity but eventually you will run out and have to freak open a new keg.

They are absolutely right. You can have some really dangerous loads if you mix powder. Having the hopper almost full also impacts the reliability, creating life threatening trouble...

When you have a powder level get below 3/4 just dump it back in the bottle, and put it out on the curb...I will pick it up in the morning to dispose of!

I have checked my measures from completely full all the way to being almost empty and there is no difference with at least some of the powders I use. I have one that has been set on the same load for more than a decade and it throws 3.1 all day every day from full down to the baffle and I don't waist the last bit of powder either. If the manufacture made them different enough that I can not add from a new can, I would need to work up my load from scratch with every new can of powder.

Edited by jmorris

I have also seen it mentioned not to mix powders even of the same lot.?

Anyone claiming that is essentially admitting that they're not smart enough to understand basic science, or is trolling really, really hard..

Mixing different types of powder (e.g. mixing Titegroup and HP-38 together) = very bad

Mixing the same type of powder from different lots may lead to you failing chrono at a match if you don't chrono those mixed loads, but that's about it

Mixing powder from two containers that came from the same manufacturing lot isn't a problem at all. They're from the same manufacturing batch of powder. They're the exact same thing.

I have checked my measures from completely full all the way to being almost empty and there is no difference with at least some of the powders I use. I have one that has been set on the same load for more than a decade and it throws 3.1 all day every day from full down to the baffle and I don't waist the last bit of powder either. If the manufacture made them different enough that I can not add from a new can, I would need to work up my load from scratch with every new can of powder.

+1

+1

+2, at least with the main powder I use (N320) which is an extruded short granular powder. Literally good to the last full drop, and then empty on a partial.

Really fine ball powders and flaked powders like Hodgdon Clays, though, might be different because of the density and geometry; at least for me, even with a full measure with these powders there's some variation.