Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving target activation methods?

rodgers65

I’m helping to run matches at an indoor range which will not allow steel targets of any kind. We’d like to incorporate more moving targets, but activating them is a bit of an issue. We’ve done the stick-on-a-string thing, but it doesn’t seem very consistent. Besides a stomp box, are there any other ideas out there?

These aren't sanctioned matches or anything, just for fun, so I don't care if the ideas aren't "legal" by the rule book. We just need something functional and reliable.

Thanks!

Some thoughts...

- Have the shooter hold the rope in their strong hand.

- Use a clip and hook it to a belt loop ont he shooter and then as the shooter moves to cover the line is pulled

- If you have a door prop hook the line to the door

- If you need a reactive tgt then Jim's boweling pin idea is about as good as it gets for an indoor range

I like to rig a carriage with some pulleys and a fishing rod. Clip the target (light weight cardboard, I like beer boxes) on the (20# test mono) line with those black paper clips and have someone behind the firing line reel in the target. I suppose if you wanted to have it retractable, or go both ways, run the line to another fishing pole on the other side and have them talk to work the target. This works surprisingly well for being super cheap, it just takes a bit of practice to keep the tension right.

At our club we've got some EE/MechE types who have rigged up electronic activators. They have an arm that is pulled by a spring or bungee, and an electromechanical device that releases the arm. The arm motion is big enough and strong enough to activate drop-turners, etc. We've got several ways of activating the device including pressure pads that the shooter steps on, a button that the shooter must push, and a light beam that they cross.

You do need some wizards to rig these things, spares in case they go down, and spare batteries.

At our club we've got some EE/MechE types who have rigged up electronic activators. They have an arm that is pulled by a spring or bungee, and an electromechanical device that releases the arm. The arm motion is big enough and strong enough to activate drop-turners, etc. We've got several ways of activating the device including pressure pads that the shooter steps on, a button that the shooter must push, and a light beam that they cross.

You do need some wizards to rig these things, spares in case they go down, and spare batteries.

Seen the same thing done with pneumatics and a light beam switch as trigger

I have used IR sensors of different styles for triggers. Shock sensors like car alarms use can activate props after the first shot is fired. Balloons make good reactive targets that make no splatter, if you have a string tied to them through a hole (use a clip tied to the end of the string to make it quick to set the next one up) you can activate other props too.