Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super Bullet Seating Depth

Baer45

I've got a Mystery which means it is a simple fix. With both Dillon and Redding Pro Series bullet seating dies I cannot get a consistent OAL. The Remington 130 gr RN bullets are seating as much as 5 or 6 tenths different in height from round to round. I have had problems with these bullets in the past as they measure in diameter from 354 to 356 and are all suppose to be .356...still they should seat at right depth every time or close??? Primer below flush, mixed brass that has worked fine before...

What am I missing? C

Marine Corp

Colonial Shooting Academy

I've got a Mystery which means it is a simple fix. With both Dillon and Redding Pro Series bullet seating dies I cannot get a consistent OAL. The Remington 130 gr RN bullets are seating as much as 5 or 6 tenths different in height from round to round. I have had problems with these bullets in the past as they measure in diameter from 354 to 356 and are all suppose to be .356...still they should seat at right depth every time or close??? Primer below flush, mixed brass that has worked fine before...

What am I missing?

If the diameter varies that much, I am sure the ogive varies by more.

5 or 6 thousands is not very much by the way.

If the OAL is suppose to be 1.260, I am getting from 1.256 to 1,264.,,/ something is not right. I wonder if the round nose shape of the Rem bullets are out of spec and the seater cup in each die is thrown off by it..?

Marine Corp

If the OAL is suppose to be 1.260, I am getting from 1.256 to 1,264.,,/ something is not right. I wonder if the round nose shape of the Rem bullets are out of spec and the seater cup in each die is thrown off by it..?

The bullets are seated by the ogive, not the point of the bullet. Bullets can be "pointier" or "blunter" and make a big difference in the COAL. Have you tried measuring just some bare bullets to see how much the vary in length?

I'll repeat, +-0.004 is really not very much. Have you noticed any difference in accuracy?

Marine Corp

That much of a difference is pretty normal. Don't sweat it. Seriously.

Also, if you're loading on a progressive machine with a shell plate that holds multiple rounds, even the most minor tipping slack will contribute to this.

Superdude - I appreciate what you are saying...the differences in length are probably greater then my example. I have not measured the height of bullet however...it's enough difference that could mean half my bullets fit the magazine and the rest don't...I load long for 1911.,,

I have only run into this problem with latter batches of Remington bullets ( this was part of a new 10,000 rd purchase) and believes the problem must be there...I've loaded over 20,000 HAP rounds, lead RN, MG and not had this problem....

I've never had the problem in other caliber bullets on my 1050s...this is on a 550 and same story...

Marine Corp

It's probably due to minor differences in the shape of the nose, just as you suspect, causing them to not fit the seating stem the same from one bullet to the next.

This stuff can be a little frustrating. We prefer greater uniformity but sometimes the components are not up to the task. There isn't much we can do about it, except to make adjustments in the settings to accommodate the variance to make sure they fit in the chamber/magazine. You might have to seat a wee bit deeper to ensure that they fit in the magazine.

Take comfort knowing you're not the only one who has had to deal with it.

The difference in diameter would certainly cause me more distress. I haven't seen this in any jacketed bullets that I use (yet), but I can certainly see where undersized bullets could produce problems with neck tension and risk significant setback in brass with thinner walls. Not good.

The difference in diameter would certainly cause me more distress. I haven't seen this in any jacketed bullets that I use (yet), but I can certainly see where undersized bullets could produce problems with neck tension and risk significant setback in brass with thinner walls. Not good.

Agreed, I'd think the variance in diameter (.354 to .356) will have a much greater impact on accuracy than the COAL (1.256 to 1.264).