Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.380 loading?

Nebwake

It will be interesting to see how the bodyguards hold up, not what I'd consider a typical range gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree, don't really trust it yet. I was shooting blazer but had lots of light primer strikes. I took the firing pin out and cleaned up any burrs. Got some better ammo and it has been 99% - it would be nice to run some rounds through it and not pay $20 a box.

Been seeing a lot of failures from the pocket guns, seems to be related to shooters who are actually putting a fair number of rounds through them.

G42 has held up well, put almost a thousand rounds through it just a couple of weeks. Already starting to see some shooters switch from Ruger/S&W/KelTec to the new Glock.

~g

.223 shell plate. Buttons for .223/9mm are the same, so whichever you like for those. 9mm powder funnel. And you'll likely want a dedicated tool head for your .380 die set. Depending on what powder you use, an XS powder bar may be helpful.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone come up with loads for the 100 grain Xtreme plated RNFP?

2.9gr Promo 0.935" OAL. It's close to (maybe over...depending on who you ask) max, but the G42 needs hot loads to cycle reliably.

3gr of Titegroup will produce similar results.

Ps, everything is expensive compared to 9mm brass

I don't know about that, I still have 2000 pounds or so of .40 brass.

I'm selling it for $25/500, washed but otherwise unprocessed. It does sell at that price, just slowly.

Has anyone come up with loads for the 100 grain Xtreme plated RNFP?

2.9gr Promo 0.935" OAL. It's close to (maybe over...depending on who you ask) max, but the G42 needs hot loads to cycle reliably.

3gr of Titegroup will produce similar results.

One kink with .380 loads is that a lot of books are VERY conservative. If you pick up Alliant's book, some of the max loads are quite a bit higher than the bullet maker's books. The heavy loads are very snappy in 380 though, somewhat painful to shoot unless you have a larger than average gun.

Edit: Here's a thread on another site with some interesting info about this:

http://alabamaopencarry.com/forum/index.php?topic=2909.0

Edited by gigs

I have been loading .380's for my Wife's new G42 for several months. I found that my/her favorite load is the same load I was using for 147 coated bullets in 9mm. 3.3 of N320 and a 95 grn. Blue Bullet loaded to .980 OAL works great. Very clean, accurate, no high pressure signs and runs the little gun at 100%. I was pleasantly surprised at how accurate these tiny guns can be.

I have been loading .380's for my Wife's new G42 for several months. I found that my/her favorite load is the same load I was using for 147 coated bullets in 9mm. 3.3 of N320 and a 95 grn. Blue Bullet loaded to .980 OAL works great. Very clean, accurate, no high pressure signs and runs the little gun at 100%. I was pleasantly surprised at how accurate these tiny guns can be.

I wonder how long those bullets are and how much bullet is inside the brass at that OAL? I've been loading Bayou and Xtreme, but just got some Black and Blue to try. The Black and Blue have a relatively long bearing surface, and when seated such that nearly all of that is inside the brass, the OAL ends up quite short. I've been loading Bayou to about 0.940" with just a hair of bearing surface above the case mouth. Loading the B&B to 0.930, there's quite a bit more bearing surface outside the case...but I'm hesitant to go any shorter.

I ended up deciding that the Black and Blue 96gr NLG needed to be seated deeper and coincidentally ended up at the SAAMI min OAL (0.910"). They're a shorter bullet, 0.445". The Bayou 95gr I've tried were 0.455" long. The B&B at 0.910" look kind of funny next to Bayou at 0.940, and I was concerned about case volume, so I loaded two small batches to test at 0.1 and 0.2gr less than the Bayou load, which is 2.7gr Promo. I didn't get a chance to shoot this weekend, so I'll have to wait til next weekend to test them.

Anyone here have Quickload?...and if so, will it do .380 + Red Dot or Promo? I'm just curious what it would guestimate the pressure to be with the B&B bullets loaded so short.

I've loaded a fair bit of 380. Nothing was extra special about it. Just working on a little smaller scale so its easy to drop the bullet and smash a finger in the machine. That being said I seem to have a hard enough time not doing that when I load anything. Just need to make sure my left hand and right hand are talking to each other.