Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Airsoft for practice.

Therealkoop

Yep, works fine. Do a search for WE Big Bird as I assume there are trademark issues - you can get magazines for either green gas or CO2. The trigger is a bit smoother and and mine releases all the way at the end of the pull - but it's a decent analog and works with all the gear

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen that there is a S&W officially licensed version but it shoots at around 290-300 fps and the "Birg Bird" shoots around 300-330 fps. Don't know if that is a big difference or not with airsoft. The main difference I see in the two is no logos on the Big Bird and it has a safety and is about $40 cheaper. I don't mind spending the extra $40 bucks if the official version is better. I'd like to get a good Airsoft pistol to practice with but not sure which one to go with.

Edited by afletcher1965

Yep, works fine. Do a search for WE Big Bird as I assume there are trademark issues - you can get magazines for either green gas or CO2. The trigger is a bit smoother and and mine releases all the way at the end of the pull - but it's a decent analog and works with all the gear

Which is better...green gas or CO2?

Which is better...green gas or CO2?

With green gas magazines and a $20 adapter you can substitute propane for the green gas. Buy the bottles of gas for camp stoves at Wallyworld. Much cheaper than buying the cans of green gas or CO2 cartridges and its available everywhere.

You will need to add a few drops of silicon oil every third or fourth magazine loading to keep things running smoothly.

Also, best to use it outdoors or a very well ventilated area.

Bill

I've seen that there is a S&W officially licensed version but it shoots at around 290-300 fps and the "Birg Bird" shoots around 300-330 fps. Don't know if that is a big difference or not with airsoft. The main difference I see in the two is no logos on the Big Bird and it has a safety and is about $40 cheaper. I don't mind spending the extra $40 bucks if the official version is better. I'd like to get a good Airsoft pistol to practice with but not sure which one to go with.

Thanks for the info. I have not seen an officially licensed version anywhere. Can you point me to a website?

Thanks for the info. I have not seen an officially licensed version anywhere. Can you point me to a website?

I just ordered this one: http://www.evike.com/products/47404/

I can't speak to the quality or anything since I haven't used it yet but considering it is an "officially licensed" version I would think it would be a fairly good one. There are some reviews online as well as some videos.

Once you receive it, please give us a report.

Just got my officially licensed M&P Full Size 9mm replica airsoft pistol in the mail today at my office. Wow! Looks and feels really close to my real M&P with all the official markings from S&W. Looks really well made. With the mag in it seams like it weighs pretty close to what my M&P Pro CORE 5" weighs with an empty mag. It is a 4.25" version so not as long as mine but other than that it is the same size. I changed out the back strap to the large size and feels the same in my hand. The blowback slide is pretty cool and does give you a little muzzle rise so you'll have to drop back down on target...obviously not as much as the real thing but it does help to not have it be totally stationary. When you fire it is a lot louder than I thought it would be...once again not like a real gun but it doesn't just go "pew-pew". LOL I think its going to be loud enough to use a timer. It fits in my Blade Tech holster too so I can work on my draws. I shot it last night in the dark so haven't had a chance to check accuracy or range. I'm not anticipating that it is going to be very accurate over 7-10 yards but to me that is really all you'll need for practice. I think between the airsoft and dry fire practice I'm going to be able to get a lot out of it.

Edited by afletcher1965

UPDATE: I got to shoot my new M&P Airsoft pistol this weekend. I was able to practice my draws from a holster (it fits my CORE holster perfect) from around 7 yards. It was very accurate. On a full sized silhouette I had all A body and head shots with no misses. I think if you go over 10 yards or so then you're going to start seeing an accuracy issue that is inherent with airsoft guns. I'm using the .20g (high quality) BBS but might try going up to .25g or .30g to see if it helps on slightly longer distances. I also got 2 extra mags and worked on mag changes with 17+1 BBS loaded. The mags can hold more but for realism I think it would be best to use whatever you're going to be shooting in your real steel. I can really see where it will help with working on proper draw techniques and sight picture and alignment. I'm really working hard to improve my "both eyes open" shooting and it is going to be awesome for this since the sight picture is going to be very similar to using a real gun. You can get a lot of practice in for pennies vs the high cost of real ammo. Not going to be a replacement for live fire practice but it's an excellent supplement!

My vote is "YES"! Get one.

Edited by afletcher1965