Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Square Deal B...

Hi, guy,

I plan to buy a Dillon SDB as I am a beginner to reloading, but before that, I want to know some manipulations detail.

I lost my left thumb longtime ago when I was 5. My left hand is pretty fonctionnal for most of things, but some precision work.

So I think that use my left hand to pickup a bullet and put on a brass with limited space would be difficault.

With SDB, can it be setup that I can use my right hand to put bullet and use my left hand to pull the handle? if yes, is that mean I have to use my left hand to sit the brass? or it can be sit by my right hand too?

Any help would be appreciated.

bylogic

I just went and tried something on my SBD...

Being a bit arthritic in the hands and elsewhere, I usually set my bullets (jacketed SWC 200gr) face-up, on-end on my bench surface so I can pick them up quickly and not have to over-manipulate them--even though I have both thumbs intact. So, I tried picking the bullets up with just the forefinger and second finger and it worked just fine... bearing in mind I set up the bullet stock on the tabletop so they're all in an upright position. It worked! In fact, it worked quite well. ;)

Bylogic,

Not to discourage you in any way from reloading, (I also use a Square Deal and RELOADING IS GOOD!) but to shoot only 1000 rounds of 9mm a month you may be better served by buying factory ammo. You can get the Win USA value packs (100 rounds) at Walmart for less than $10. Actually, I think now UMC also came out with a value pack offer.

I recently did the numbers for the 9mm and the end result was that by reloading I was saving maybe $0.01 per round. That would be $10 more per 1000 rounds than homemade ammo. In my case, I'll pay the $10 and save the time in front of the machine. HOWEVER, for other calibers the story would be different.

What you don't get from the factory ammo is the custom performance... There the tradeoff.

My $0.02 and another perspective.

Bylogic,

Not to discourage you in any way from reloading, (I also use a Square Deal and RELOADING IS GOOD!) but to shoot only 1000 rounds of 9mm a month you may be better served by buying factory ammo.  You can get the Win USA value packs (100 rounds) at Walmart for less than $10.  Actually, I think now UMC also came out with a value pack offer.

I recently did the numbers for the 9mm and the end result was that by reloading I was saving maybe $0.01 per round.  That would be $10 more per 1000 rounds than homemade ammo.  In my case, I'll pay the $10 and save the time in front of the machine.  HOWEVER, for other calibers the story would be different.

What you don't get from the factory ammo is the custom performance...  There the tradeoff.

My $0.02 and another perspective.

Hi Nelson,

Brianenos.com is now a cross border website. :) not just for american.

I am a canadian (damn, I can't deal directly with brian), and here, 9mm is pretty expensive, about 25$CDN for 100 round.

Reloading can save me about 50%, that mean's I can shoot 2000 round per month after reloading.:D

And .40/.45 will come, it is just a matter of time. :wub:

Regard.

bylogic

Hi Nelson,

Brianenos.com is now a cross border website. :) not just for american.

I am a canadian (damn, I can't deal directly with brian), and here, 9mm is pretty expensive, about 25$CDN for 100 round.

Reloading can save me about 50%, that mean's I can shoot 2000 round per month after reloading.:D

And .40/.45 will come, it is just a matter of time. :wub:

Regard.

bylogic

Well...

Let me get my foot out of my mouth... ;) I didn't know you were one of our international colleagues. In that case, YES reloading is the way to go! Hope the SDB works fine for you, it has for me.

Welcome to the Enosverse!

B)

• 3 years later...
It really did work. Just make it easy on yourself by setting up your bullet stock (ahead of time) all facing up on a flat surface so you won't cramp up your hand manipulating them more than you need to. Have fun! B)

And works even better on the Strong-Mounted bullet tray putting them right beside station #3 where they're headed. I reduce hand movement even more by using a 550 size acro-bin for bullet catch and mount my empty case bin on the side of it at a right angle putting them at station #1. Seems little subtle things just make the whole process smoother.