Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide weight vs recoil spring

APL-G35

Okay, I used to have a 6" limited gun. It had a 12.5 oz total reciprocating mass, including bushing and spring plug. I ran this setup with an 11lb spring. I just got a lightly used caspian 6". Total reciprocating weight is 14.1oz. I cannot get this gun to run less than a 14lb spring and have had a couple of FTF with that. Good mags, good ammo no issues there. The gun is much tighter than my old gun. I had issues on 3 of 5 stages last match. Lubed it real good on the last 2 it ran fine. Any ideas?

I'd check extractor tension first. It's also possible it doesn't cycle and feed as smoothly (round sliding under extractor and sliding up the feed ramp). I check for "snags" by slow cycling ammo up by hand and see if there are rough spots and address those.

Edited by bountyhunter

• 2 weeks later...

What type of FTF was it having? Did the first round come most of the way out of the magazine and then stop or were there two rounds coming out of the mag? Were it is just one round, did it seem to stop at which point the front of the round initially contacts the inside top hood of the barrel or when the round wass most of the way inside the barrel with just a small amount of base sticking out, or was it random? I believe we can cut out quite a few causes just by you describing the recoil spring weights. I'm of the mindset that you shouldn't have to keep a gun lubed for it to work right, the design of it should necessitate working all the time. I can also be almost certain the issue will pop back up randomly, just at longer intervals, even with lube.

Edited by Whoops!

Okay, I used to have a 6" limited gun. It had a 12.5 oz total reciprocating mass, including bushing and spring plug. I ran this setup with an 11lb spring. I just got a lightly used caspian 6". Total reciprocating weight is 14.1oz. I cannot get this gun to run less than a 14lb spring and have had a couple of FTF with that. Good mags, good ammo no issues there. The gun is much tighter than my old gun. I had issues on 3 of 5 stages last match. Lubed it real good on the last 2 it ran fine. Any ideas?

For a 6" gun, with an additional slide weight of 1.5 ozs. - especially if it is significantly tighter than your old blaster - it might just require a 14 lb. spring to function consistently.