Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 Auto Rim for SSR

With the final rules still in limbo I am trying to find ways to be competetive with my 625 that I like so much. Now that I know that both of my guns come in under the 42 oz. limit, I have decided to order in some 45 auto-rim brass and use the same 130 p.f. load (read gamer if you will) that has proven to be so effective in the past.

Before I go too far do you think "IDPA" will outlaw this combination?

It seems to me that with all the changes in rules "IDPA" wants to set the revolver shooters back to the 1950s. As the 45 Auto-Rim was introduced in 1920 perhaps this will be OK.

I gave the auto rim some thought. The problem I see is the only reloading device is the HKS slow loaders. It will take an awful lot of practice to become competitive.

Why not just go to 165PF and play ESR? I tested my 165PF load today against my SSR 38spl load. Not much difference in felt recoil between the 625 and the 66. Of course, with the 22 degree temp and the wind, it was nice to feel the warmth.

Regards,

I would think that the 686 loaded with a 158 RN just to bunny fart pf and dropped from a safariland comp ll would make a good competative gun. I still dont understand how anyone that shoots a revolver thinks a 625 is a gamer gun. :o When i think gamer it brings to mind a person who stretches the rules into FTDR space. Not a fair competator who plays by the rules....Within the guidelines....

Just my .02

Frederick Haring

I have to concurr with Firewalker on Both of his observations !!! ;)

Anybody that has shot revolvers very long now knows Smith and Wessons have the best Actions and definately do after some work. :rolleyes:

I originally started Shooting IDPA with a GP100 and Safariland comp II loaders and have let it go to another so he could try the game of shooting... No competitions for him yet but maybe. ( I liked my Gp100 though )

Now I am down to shooting some junky old Smiths, 625 in USPSA and either 610 or 646 in IDPA and since there is going to be a PF of 165,000 in the division these guns fit in the obvious choice is the 610 as it handles recoil much better, the 646 is almost uncomfortable with Major loads. (Thanks Bill and others wanting to split SSR, I just bought the 646 specificly to shoot in IDPA)

Might pick up one of the old 686 guns to play with if I shoot IDPA much anymore (kind of doubt it though) but another gun sounds good ! :wub:

Good luck at Sturms Frederick ;)

Hopalong