Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading 9x25

harald

Hallo

I bought a Nowlin 5,4" threded barrel last week, i thinh idid it too fast :huh:

I can't find any data on this caliber in my reloading books. Are there any good vv powders for it? What bullets can i use? Can i use my STI EDGE in 40s&w for this barrel? Reloading tools for my XL650?

Is this a "tricky" caliber to reload? :o

9x25 is not a beginner-loading caliber. That said, I didn't have a whole lot of reloading experience (some .40 and .45) before I started loading it and I'm still here.

But, it's got issues most pistol calibers don't. In particular, there's usually variance between guns on where the shoulder is. So you have to find yours out and set your sizing die to load cases to that dimension. There's also only a limited number of 9mm bullets you can use-- you might start with bullets that are listed for .357 Sig-- it has the same short-neck problem that prevents RN bullets from working. The Hornady FMJ-FP's worked well for me.

You may end up crimping the holy heck out of your bullets to avoid setback. Setback is bad.

The Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook has load data. Dillon also used to fax out a few sheets on it if you asked nicely.

N350 works OK, as does N105. If Powder Valley still has H108, get that-- it's super cheap and works well (without a location, I have no idea if PV is on the same continent as you, but it's all I know)

Avoid nickeled brass. It cracks more than regular 10mm brass.

I have two guys I shoot with regularly use 9x25. Set back is unlikely to be a problem, as the case is FULL of N110. The bullet is seated fairly deep and crimped to prevent it pulling under recoil and powder pressure.

I have not loaded any myself and Dillon would be an excellent source of info. I believe data was also available from Vihtavouri. And as shred suggested N105 and N108 will work very well. No one down here used N350 AFAIK.

N350 is what I gravitated to when I got tired of the headache from shooting 17 or so grains of H110 or H108 in every shot. It doesn't fill the case, making neck tension a problem.

I've heard that was what got TGO back out of 9x25-- he discovered that his 9x25 powder charge would fit in a Super case and switched back.

Also be sure to clean any leftover cleaning media out of your hollowpoints-- a chunk of that gets lodged in the shoulder of the chamber and you're in for an unhappy time.

9x25 is fun (RO's may disagree) I still shoot it occasionally, and even picked up a limited gun with a 9x25 barrel a while back. Bigbrowndog suggests it might be good on coyotes, but I've not tried that. You always get your brass back.. even months later somebody will hand you a sack of it.