Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MOR sidematch

smokshwn

Another guy and myself are going to try and set up our clubs first MOR sidematch.

We are looking for ideas for something that would be of an MOR type format but not so much as to scare off those wanting to test the waters. We will have about 20 shooters to get through in about 3 hours. I assume most will be shooting with primarily sporting equipment for now. We have four hundred yards of range to use and rifle rated steel.

What suggestions do you have with respect to:

1) Stage format

2) Round count

3) Optional targets (clays, balloons, etc.)

4) Anything else we will need to know.

thanx in advance, Craig

Stick to self re-setting steel and only use paper if you can walk to it in under 15 seconds. These two items alone will make it so much faster than anything else you can do.

Also, make the shots reasonably easy with average gear and for the average shooter. This will let the good rifle shooters duke it out on speed and still let the backmarkers stay on the same lap as the front-runners. Nothing is more discouraging to a new shooter than being unable to hit stuff, round after round. Nothing is more satisfying than a bang followed by a clang.

--

Regards,

Despite expectations, MOR, Manually Operated Rifle is very nondescript! It isn't 'Sniper Match' for example so when I tagged MOR match on to our own Nationals, I designed stages with the general purpose rifle in mind.

I used MGM auto poppers at 150yds, the Bianchi Mover which we engaged from 35yds and a standard excercise 3 abreast on IPSC targets at 100.

Once the timer was going a 4" centre on the auto poppers at 150 yds was tough shooting for most, especially given the huge culture change from pistol shooting, where speed is so important.

The varmint guns did well at 150, but struggled on the mover, the match was won with a Winchester featherweight in 308 bipoded

IMHO, ten rounds or more within a stage is OK as long as there aren’t more than 4-5 shots required at any given position. In USPSA MOR, the 5 round max loaded rule covers things well, as long as the course design is not a stacked deck against the blind mag rifle shooters.

--

Regards,

BTW Craig, here are links to a couple of simple rifle stages I designed that fit the MOR style and range from easy through hard. The precision-rifle.doc one is pretty tough at 160 yards, if you take it down to 100 it’s a little easier for the rifle newbie. The range can be pushed out as far as you want on the other two, I set it at 160 for friendliness to the hunting rifle crowd. Your clientele may want/need a different difficulty level. The bolt-rifle.doc stage can easily be pushed out to 400+ yards without getting too difficult for most.

precision-rifle.doc

bolt-rifle.doc

tactical-rifle.doc

(* MS Word documents)

I believe the USPSA MOR stage descriptions in PDF format from the 2002 and 2003 US3G’s are still on the USPSA website in the members area.

--

Regards,

Edited by George