Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Lube for Cast bullets?

Jeremiah

I just bought a lyman luber/sizer for bullets to feed my 45 habit. What lube do you guys use for IDPA/IPSC? I'm casting straight wheel weight alloy. I want something that doesn't smoke.

I have saw Red/Blue Angel, Lyman Orange Magic, and roosters. Are there any others to look into? I'm going to be shooting a 200 LSWC at about 165 pf through a 1911.

Thanks.

Jerimiah,

Some (lubes) smoke worse than others but I have not found a lube that doesn't smoke. Rooster Red is probably the best for less smoke IMO, but smoke it does.

We (lead bullet shooters) blame alot of the smoke on the lube when in fact it is the bullet adding a great deal of the smoke to the mix.

In my guns, the higher the power factor of the round, the less smoke. I think this is because it allows complete combustion in the chamber instead of letting the unburned combustion products out the end of the barrel as more smoke.

FWIW

dj

Orange Magic is not good, nor are any of the liquid lubes. Any of the soft lubes that I've seen smoke more than hard lubes. Orange Magic is sort of in-between, as it doesn't require much heat, but stays fairly messy after cooling and smokes only slightly less than the soft/liquid lubes.

Rooster Red Zambini and Blue Angel are the best IMHO, but I can't see enough difference between the two to pick a favorite. I believe Rooster is usually a hair cheaper.

Make sure you have a lube heater as these are very hard lubes that will not be usable without one.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, it's close enough to qualify as a "lube sucker".

When I switched to the 228 RN bullet with the well thought out shallow grooves, my lube started lasting twice as long (at the very least).

When you ever recover one of your bullets you'll see the lube is still there. No big deal, but I was getting tired of having to add another stick of lube every time I turned around.