Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

About to buy a 650, but have a case flaring question

Well it is getting to be time to upgrade to a more serious reloading setup, my lee loadmaster just isn't cutting it for many different reasons.

I already have dies for .40S&W that I plan on using on the 650 once it arrives, so I do not intend on ordering any when I buy my setup from brian's store. This leads me to my question: Does the "caliber conversion" that you select with the 650 on the ordering page include everything needed to flare the case while dropping powder?

the powder-through expanding die is the only die that will not be making the journey from the loadmaster to the 650, so just want to make sure I will be covered in this arena.

Thanks a ton for any advice, can't wait to get to work with an actually reliable press!

I don't know whether they are included in the package, but the powder dies themselves are generic for all calibers, and also used for the powder check system. They ruin either 11 or 13 bucks, and buying extras is highly recommended if you want to keep a till head for each caliber.

Does the "caliber conversion" that you select with the 650 on the ordering page include everything needed to flare the case while dropping powder?

Yes. If you're getting the caliber conversion kit you only need a die set and you're ready to load. (Three Die Set: (1) Sizing Die, (1) Bullet Seating Die and (1) Crimp Die)

Edited by razorfish

Does the "caliber conversion" that you select with the 650 on the ordering page include everything needed to flare the case while dropping powder?

Yes. If you're getting the caliber conversion kit you only need a die set and you're ready to load. (Three Die Set: (1) Sizing Die, (1) Bullet Seating Die and (1) Crimp Die)

Thanks a ton, that was exactly what i needed to know :)

I load .358 cast in 9mm on my Classic Turret currently with a 38 S&W expander. Going the 650 route in a couple months.

If I can't get the Dillon measure to expand enough to not swage down when seating fat bullets I'll just have to use my Lee Pro Auto disk on my 650 GASP :goof:

Nitrohuck, just so you know, when you get the 650 in your hands it will be already set up for the caliber you have ordered it for. the only parts separate will be 3 pins and the powder funnel and case feed adapter. Everything else will already be installed on the unit and adjusted properly. (minus your dies) You'll also get an empty box that you can store the parts which get removed when doing a caliber conversion. For the .40, the small primer system will be installed and the large primer parts will be sitting in the box.

You may also want to order the correct case adapter for 10mm when you order the machine as all parts needed for 10mm are the same as the .40 minus the case adapter. I think it's only a couple dollars and will let you load for an additional caliber should you want to.

Edited by mikeinctown

I actually recommend against the case adapter for the 10mm because it is the same as the 45, and most people would start reloading 45 before 10mm.

PS, the 40 caliber conversion kit includes the 10mm adapter, so it may be in the box when it comes anyway

Edited by b1gcountry