Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Highwayman's road

Highwayman

Just call me Highwayman. The name is a reference to the fact I was a competitive fencer and instructor throughout my college years, and am now trying to learn the pistol. Highwaymen were known for carrying both a sword and black powder pistols, most songs about them reference this very fondly. I'm twenty four years old, just finished up graduate school and am seeking that first full-time job to start my career while working part-time to pay the rent. I bought a relative's police surplus Glock 17 for my twenty first birthday, and between long stints of working for my college without the ability to store a firearm I made a range trip without any formal training except some tips and pointers from friends years before. The Glock is Gen 3 but pretty worn out, old tritium sights that barely glow. Being an Illinois resident, needless to say I was surprised when we finally became the last state to allow concealed carry. So, I applied for my permit the first of this year, and dusted off the Glock for its first range trip in over a year and a half. My biggest concern was qualifying for the permit, it required thirty or so rounds into a silhouette at various distances. I was far too worried, I ended up putting them all through a six inch circle, the instructor told me to stop early at some point because 'you're fine.' But honestly, I did not feel fine. I'd never carried a gun before, let alone drawn one from a holster to fire. How would I maneuver? How could I use cover? What about multiple rapid shots that no range allowed to practice?

For the next sixty nine days it took for my permit to come, I started making weekly range trips to try and get myself used to my weapon, learn its finer points, and try and become a better shot on my own. No such luck. I was always hitting low and left, my stance and control were nonexistent but I of course didn''t know that. My concealed carry instructor mentioned preferring a 'triangle stance' over a Weaver, so I tried standing like he'd stood. This was the extent of my pistol knowledge. I got my hands on a SIRT laser pistol, and my groups became notably tighter, and my weapon familiarity became more comfortable. Little did I know, eventually looking over the sight at that laser dot was forcing my shots lower.

Then one day on my lunch break on an Illinois concealed carry forum, some one mentioned an IDPA match going on nearby in a town I knew. IDPA? The defensive guys? I sent a forum message asking how I could look into it, being a newbie looking for basic training. The range officer replied by saying 'We're going live tonight, come on out'. So, still wearing my dress shirt and tie, I showed up and watched the match. It was mostly state competitors with ranks practicing for the bigger matches, with a few informal local guys who had taken classes from the coordinators. I was baffled to see everyone walking around strapped up with weapons and mags, and as I watched the safety protocols I was impressed at how well this was run. Watching everyone run through the wooden maze picking off targets, especially the pros, I had to do this. Asked the coordinator how to get started, he explained that they taught a basic 'Holster use' class which while designed for getting shooters used to drawing and firing, was taught by a Nationals USPA and IDPA shooter and thus was ideal for future competitors.

The class changed everything. The female Nationals competitor was an extreme fundamentalist, no sacrifices of form and technique for time, she was known for this. Within twenty minutes of basic pistol lectures, I was the first one to be strapped up with a pistol, and there I was walking around the range with a gun on and four magazines on my other side. By the end of the session, I'd changed my stance over to a modern iscoceles...but more importantly, actually knew what it was for, and how the posture and weighting fought recoil. I now knew the role of the support hand, rolling it on rather than wondering where to put it. I came home with a stack of paperwork with basic drills, sized down practice targets, and an invitation to their monthly skills and drills sessions where they ran a line of shooters doing basic draw and fire drills with some miniature stages thrown in at the end. I attended two or three of these over the months, mingling with some high-level guys with amazing gear...and there I was with old mags off of Ebay. I ended up painting my front sight red to be able to see it better, and at the advice of one of the top guys I picked up two books. Steve Anderson's dry fire book, and some book apparently about vintage Oakleys by some guy named Brian Enos.

Here's where things get sad. While I attempted the dry fire drills a few times a week...I had never been taught what a par time was. I was simply using a free Shot Timer app on my phone and practicing drawing after the beep. No challenge, no pressure, I thought that's all it was. Within a month or two, I simply lost track and fell back into basic draws and reload drills without a timer once in a while. I read Brian's book...and the first time it all went over my head, it wasn't until I slowly reread it later on that the finer points made sense.

Finally, I got the nod to compete...a full twenty four hours before the match. After a panicked day, I took 22nd place or so out of 26 on the line. I reverted to point shooting, kept losing track of my sights, and I fought my weapon constantly because I was still unsure of its finer points. But, I was still hooked. I went back for a second match, made 19th out of 24th, and made a laughingstock of myself being unable to figure out how a drop-down target worked with three college degrees.

Then, things got sadder. I spent two months moving to a new place, job hunting, got caught up in nonprofit work...And my gun stayed in the safe for about a month and a half. Being the idiot I am, I still went out to a match a week ago today...and I'm not even going to check my placing, we'll just all agree it was last. Lost track of my sights, reloading problems, technical fouls, slow stage usage, and I was the only shooter that night who didn't hit the steel plate in a stage. After the first stage I wanted to just walk out and save everyone the time, I felt like I was insulting my instructors and all these top shooters. It was a long, quiet night. Everyone just hung around waiting to shoot, I don't know anyone so it was a lot of pacing and trying to calm down my nerves. I made it through the whole night trying to laugh it off and be grateful for the occasional encouraging remark. Came home and did not sleep well at all, really felt haunted by how badly I'd let myself perform in public.

It's been a long week since. I detail stripped my Glock for the first time, even after weekly cleanings I found a large amount of hidden grime and worn parts to replace. I got it back together and running clean, but ordered away for an extended mag release, 3.5 connector, and new trigger spring to basically mirror the parts used in a Glock 34. I dug out the previously unused yellow training barrel that came with my Blade Tech rig, and started using it for dry fire with my actual weapon. My SIRT was dusted off, it'd been hiding on top of a bookshelf for a month. I took to the forums, this one included, for emotional support and general guidelines on where to start. Finally, through sheer accidental luck, I stumbled onto a post describing how par times worked on a shot timer. Digging into my app, I realized with wide eyes that I had had been practicing wrong with the Dry Fire book for the last few months. Caught up in my own ignorance, I did a set of 6 reload 6 with the newly discovered par time feature...and found my heart pounding, my hands twitching, just like I'd been in competition. Yep. I was an idiot. All this time, I could have been having a much more intense and competitive time with my practice sessions, instead I slacked off and lost the chance to really push my movements to a new level.

As of today, I have three weeks until the next IDPA match. I give them a lot of credit for still letting me hang around after how sad last time was, but I really need to move past my shame and show them I'm not another kid with a black gun goofing off and trying to look cool on Facebook. In my mind, I have the running fantasy of the old gunfighters known for their speed and weapon handling. Being forced to compare that image with my own fumbling after all the time and money I've poured into this...It's pretty painful.

So, on I go. I'll be working my way through the Dry Fire book's basic drills, then hopefully finding a larger space to practice moving through stages, improving my Glock within SSP standards, and hopefully developing a pre-shot routine to help overcome my competition nerves and insecurity. I'm not racing for a class or rank, I honestly may never be good enough for real competition. But, I'm going to try and give this my all, because I respect the pistol and want to know I truly can use it. I want to become a safe, efficient, and reasonably timely shooter who can feel qualified to carry a firearm.

When I first picked up a fencing weapon my first week of college, I didn't want to be another poser who just did this to talk about it in bars. I wanted to be a swordsman who understood the art and science to a practical level. Currently, I'm an active competitor in multiple divisions, and later applied my fundamentals to full-contact longsword work which combines unarmed combat and grappling. Well...I just picked up an old Glock. Time to start walking a long road.

For my first practice session (actually knowing what par times were), my focus was first constructing my training area. Considering I rent a room in my friend's townhouse, this would be a minimalist affair. I printed out three micro-sized IDPA targets and posted them in a row on the back of my door, placing myself at the other end of the room for a maximum of ten feet. My desk is besides me to hold my iPhone with its Shot timer app, the Dry Fire book stays open next to it for reference. I placed a folded blanket in front of me to cushion mag drops, although the floor is already carpeted. For sets that don't require pulling the trigger, I'm using my Glock with a yellow training barrel installed and a 17 round mag filled with rounds. For active sets, I'm using my SIRT laser trainer, its weighted magazine, and an empty (so far) ten rounder because it fits in the SIRT. Finally, I had some Irish music playing on my laptop because...Well, I like Irish music.

Front sight picture drills-The most basic, boring action...made insane by my first taste of par time training. Within a few sets I realized I was still adjusting my grip as the gun reached the front of my stance, forcing a readjustment of sight picture. Worked on gripping it fully near my chest before the front push, and the tenths of a second began to shave away.

Burkett Reloads-Whoever this Burkett guy is, I hate him. The book recommends high rep counts, exhausting but beneficial. One second reloads came after a few sets, my thumb is a bit sore from the rough mag release. Amazon says my new extended release will be here by Monday, hopefully that makes a difference. Debating painting my magwell as some have done.

6 Reload 6-I finished my first set with par time by going 'Whew!'. The first few sets I couldn't get the last shot off, just the 12th shot. Spent the rest of the time trying to chase it down. Reloads seemed smoother and more natural without the Burkett pause, I see why that drill is being used now.

El Prez-I was running close to my hour deadline, why not end with some flair? Was aiming for the same 5 second deadline as the last drill, and was surprised to find I was once again chasing the last round with very little time sacrificed from the turn. Mixed on my foot timing, couldn't decide the exact choreography but settled on the notes Steve put in the book by drawing as my right foot moved after the head snap. Finished up the last cool-down set, and went down to make breakfast.

Session thoughts: Finally discovering par times has made dry fire training into a real thing, without it I was dreading it like a push-up count. I'm laughing off how much time I've wasted, but now I'm curious to see what daily hour-long sessions will do to my placing in my next match three weeks from now. Definitely looking forward to the extended mag release, will be spending my day at work wondering how to improve my training methods with my limited budget and space.

Over the last two days, I received the new Glock minus connector and the extended mag release. The new connector and replacement spring feel certainly smoother with a louder break, but most notably the trigger return spring actually seems to be functioning as it should. I can feel the trigger actually pressing against my finger pad for the first time instead of just giving under it. I have to say I'm much more excited over the mag release. Learning reloads, I was very concerned how my hand was so small I was forced to shift my hand to hit the release and thus loosen my grip on the pistol. My coach noted my small hands and said it was all I could do. One factory extended mag release later, no hand shifting necessary, and I'm thrilled to see how much simpler and natural it feels to reload. My hand stays put, just like it was meant to. Still have not lived fired my cleaned and now upgraded Glock, hoping to find a day off next week to hit the old range I can afford.

After a long day at work, I forced myself to set up my little training area and get back at it to test the mag release. My warm-ups went fine, keeping my draw and acquire barely at .9 seconds at my best. I noted carefully the position of my left hand right before the grip. I was taught to keep my left palm flat to my stomach during the draw to keep it clear of the barrel, but now I'm realizing the benefits of keeping it higher and pushing the pistol out to full extension as the support hand takes its position. A few milliseconds seemed to free up as I learned this. Keep reminding myself to crouch down and keep low, I have to keep my mind on where my weight is to avoid losing that feel at my next comp.

I should have went straight to reloads...I just had to save that for last. Started with 2 reload 2, just a simple one target piece to get my heartbeat up. The mag release felt...right. Very, very right. Even without warm-ups I was feeling the action as it was designed to be felt. Then I started losing track of the magwell...Back to fundamentals. Kept my eye on mag, caught myself trying to do them blind with obvious results. Good time to consider painting my magwell.

Bill drill. I always heard this drill talked about, had no idea it was so simple. I felt like an idiot trying to count the clicks of my SIRT the first time, but eventually got a feel for the count. Changing the cadence from rapid-fire to a reload showed the value of the drill, had to fight to find the rhythm of the movement. Makes me wish I had a range that allowed drawing and rapid-fire, this could definitely be a benchmark test. I appreciated my SIRT for its resetting trigger, can't imagine trying to do all this just by squeezing a stationary trigger and pretending it clicked.

6 reload weak. Two shots on three targets, reload, switch to weak hand only and repeat sequence. I have barely had any stages where my weak hand was used, but I'm expecting it'll be a long term challenge. The first attempt, I could barely get sighted. Then I had to work on the transfer, stop tossing the gun between my palms and keep it controlled. Got the shots off very barely, I'm expecting trying this live fire would be an absolute joke. But long-term, I'm hoping to focus on dry firing with my weak hand as much as possible as it's the most cited weakness across the board.

Burkett reloads. Forced myself to end with them...and quickly found them so much more enjoyable after the release upgrade. Shaved off quite a bit of time, trying them with .2 added par time had me wondering if the timer was still going to go off, it was that comfortable. May try for shaving down my par time next time, was managing them at .8 seconds but also want to try full reloads just to keep myself grounded and realistic. I'd love to tell myself these are an occasional drill I won't have to put myself through, but they're going to be a permanent fixture.

Managing to fit all my practice gear into the top area of a toolbox right behind where I stand to dry fire. Toying with the idea of using painter's tape to mount the micro-targets in our upstairs loft area when my roommate/landlord isn't home, but the privacy of my bedroom gives me more flexibility and more time to practice when I can. In the past I tried some rudimentary movement drills using a large room at the Masonic Lodge I'm a member of, I have a key to the building. However it's also an hour away from my residence, while I do spend a bit of time there a few times a week I'll only be able to try those if I have time to show up early and don't mind changing into a suit afterwords. However, it's a huge room bigger than any square range, some potential for bigger practice sessions. Now that I know how to par time, I dug out the belt clip for my iPhone and would have a mobile timer, no desk or table needed.

Clocked the whole session in at an hour ten minutes, ended with a much needed shower. Definitely need to make time to live fire, curious how the subtle repairs and upgrades will feel both in the slow square range and once the timer goes off. Then again, if I don't get any better, I could be shooting a custom 1911 and I'd still do just as poorly.

No, I haven't given up yet. Not expecting many replies, but hey, maybe someday. The last few days have been an exhausting traveling affair with my nonprofit work, I spent most of yesterday napping and healing. Worked eight hours, came home starving and exhausted...Kept telling myself to just practice tomorrow morning. Then I flashed back to that last horrible match, how I looked to all these top shooters, and how I wanted to just walk out. So, I forced myself to do a minimal three sets. Draw and acquire target as usual, a quick 6 reload 6, and of course reloads.

This time however, I finished up my sets by cranking down the par time an extra .05 seconds. Oddly enough, I still was finding breathing room at the end of the movements. 6 Reload 6 got down to 4.85, Burkett reloads were down to .85, .75 draw. This was the first time using my pistol since I'd painted the mag well, and I have to say being able to focus on that white patch really seemed to make reloads seem like they were in slow motion. Then, seemingly seconds later, there was the par time beep. As much as I hate reloads, I think I'm starting to feel it. Likewise, the full shooting drill seemed comfortable. No missed shots, no fumbles, it was more a matter of how close I was cutting it to the buzzer. Focusing on 'turreting' my upper body as Brian recommends in his book, wishing I had more of a practice area to really try that out. Sometime this week I'll commandeer the rest of the house, lock up the terrier puppy and at least try spaced out targets. Finding places to move and learn footwork will be more challenging.

This is not a sport for the unmotivated. I can't talk to coworkers at the water cooler about it like my golf scores, it's unimpressive if not unnerving to the opposite sex, it requires a notable time commitment away from leisure after a long day's work, and even within the community my shoots tend to be quiet. This range diary admittedly isn't me seeking responses at this point, it's to keep myself disciplined. If I drop off the map and stop practicing, I'm just another wannabe who gave up. Considering it just got me training when I just wanted to kick back and nurse a headache (I work retail), it must be working.

I'm following! I'm shooting my first action pistol match this weekend... I'm admittedly a terrible shot... And I'm sure I'll look like a fool out there, but everyone started at the bottom before! I'm lost on most of the stuff you're talking about with the timer, but the only way I'm going to learn is to jump into the deep end! Good luck, and keep practicing!

For just starting out, don't worry so much about such an aggressive practice regimen. Dry fire to get used to the gun and trigger finger discipline, but I think the best thing to do when you are starting out is make it to the matches. When there, watch, learn and ask some questions. Don't bug the hell out of everyone, but us experienced shooters generally like to help new shooters out. The problem with setting up such aggressive training sessions is that you might be practicing more bad habits than good. I'm not saying don't practice, just practice basics and cement them in and make sure you are doing it correctly. Don't practice too much speed or complex drills.

Another exhausting weekend, just was not able to find time to do chores around the house let alone strap on my gear. First time in five days, all I was able to manage was a draw then a 2 reload one drill. Trimmed off .05 on all times, kept me on my toes. Had a very good sense of Brian's 'shooting with the eyes' philosophy. It's getting to the point where when my front sight becomes clear, the double tap simply occurs. I'm not yanking them out as soon as possible, it just happens as a reflex when my sight picture says it's time. Should get around to painting my SIRT magwell, once I got reloads dialed in it's odd going back to focusing on the front corner without that visual cue.

Feeling a different sensation with my draws. Rather than lifting the gun from vertical to horizontal with my right hand and intercepting it with my left, I'm feeling where the left comes under the trigger guard and is an integral part of the rotation, presenting the gun 'at ready' with both hands before the push outwards. The right hand is lifting the gun straight up out of the rig in a smoother, faster motion with less hesitation and articulation. Followed by the target being blocked out by my painted red front sight, and instantly becoming blurry behind it. Will this finally become natural when the stage buzzer goes off? I hope.

I should be pounding myself to go through reloads or strong/weak hand drills, but this has been my first day off in weeks and it's hard to push myself any further. Tomorrow I'll be hitting the range for the first time since my last competition, it's been an issue of ammo cost as well as the hourly fee. It'll be tough optimizing a square range where I can't draw, but my accuracy and basic aiming needs work and it's the only way. Right now I make ten dollars an hour, part time. My rent gets paid and I have a small stash of 9mm, but range time with a hundred dollar budget per month is hard to do casually. However, with some decent job interviews rolling in, I'm feeling more secure about throwing lead downrange. If any of these jobs work out, I jump from the 'cashier' bracket to the 'nonprofit management' bracket and can afford weekly range trips and more than fifty rounds per trip.

First day back on the range in nearly a month. Beautiful nearby indoor range...Until I realized I had been assigned a booth between two gentleman. The one on the right was using a .44 mag revolver. The one on the left? A .50. I eventually walked outside, popped in my soft earplugs underneath my muffs. Also, may I add that getting hit with .44 brass feels exactly like being jabbed with a nun's finger.

I was using 2.5 inch diamond targets on printer paper, rolled out to around 25 feet. My first five round group? Three on the paper, they were all trailing low. Once again, ever since I picked up a handgun, always low due to what we all eventually agreed on was anticipating the shot. At least they were centered and not pressing left as they always had. Finished up another five rounds on the target, still missing low. Damn. Second group, same thing. Reverted to dry fire, watching myself carefully. I'd been told I wasn't flinching, just that I was waiting for the shot...Was I milking the trigger? This time focusing on relaxing my bottom fingers and watching the front sight lift, I did two more five shot groups. Low and behold, I was now on paper in a fist-sized group. Rolling the target back, I had assumed that I'd be much wilder because I kept seeing the front sight jump...Wait...

'Watch the sight lift'. Here I was bracing myself in a low crouch waiting to shove that front sight back down where it belonged...Did it ever even get the chance to lift? Right as the shot breaks, I'm already wrestling the gun to stay down. Was this the issue that's been haunting me all year, instead of all the endless 'work on trigger and surprise break' advice? Let's roll with it. I was going to fire off a group and let the slide flip back like a metal band's hair in the wind. This silent epiphany was ended with the guy next to me finally hitting the outer bullseye ring with his .50 after a dozen or so shots. Alright, let's do it.

10474738_10204048087979930_5984606738809

...That's five shots through a 2.5 inch diamond at 25 feet, one shot every 1.5 seconds as range rules required. I could have finished off the ten round magazine, but I'd rather just leave that one pretty and stare at it. The next mag, I got back in my old stance and held down the sight as the shot broke. Low, low. I relaxed and let it flip. On target. Center of target. Never again did a shot go below the paper, from then on I was chasing the center diamond. I pulled off one more five-shot group through my second to last target, then finished up splitting a magazine between two targets to get myself used to transitioning. That was a waste of time as I found myself locked on too early, and being forced to pause to avoid being kicked out for rapid fire. Well, at least I tried. Looking over my targets, I can see the exact thought process that led these rounds on target. Was my pushing the gun the reason I never hit the steel in my last match, even though the sight picture looked perfect? I personally believe so.

Walking off with my packed gun and chucking my ammo boxes, I stopped and watched the two gentlemen with the hand-cannons for a few minutes. All shots were a few seconds apart as they regained their stance, shots were always low and right. Were they bracing themselves and pulling the shots just like I had, understandably so considering the size of the caliber? One .50 cal brass to the forehead later and I was out the door.

The newly cleaned gun and modifications initially seemed pointless, but once I was steering my shots back I could feel the smoother trigger break and stronger reset with the new spring. While not as natural as my dry fire drills, I was able to shoot with my eyes more instead of panicking over my trigger pull every time and feeling the world through my index finger. I just let the shots happen when the target was acquired, and the stronger reset and softer pull felt more natural for this. Just cleaned it on this desk a few minutes ago, and unlike last time, I'm not glaring down at my Glock like it had betrayed me. It can do what I want it to do...occasionally...and it's waiting for me to figure out how to ask it the right way. Noticing my painted red front sight is a tad too shiny, may try and fix that. Still too broke to debate replacing the near-dead tritiums, I'd need something high-viz for the front, possibly a painted Warren? Fiber optics are fine for a gamer gun but this is also my carry piece. My only concern: For some reason, loading the magazine forcefully caused the slide to instantly release and chamber the round. Initially I was worried this was a major problem and I'd put it back together wrong, a google search later is telling me this is just a non-issue that Glock armorers don't see a problem with. If anything, some people desire that feature, and to consider it a perk if it occurs during a stage. Well, cool. Maybe it'll also glow when evil is near.

I think I'm onto something.

Had a great day at work, came home and eventually wanted to give some dry fire a shot after my revelation on the range. It was nearly nine at night, but I ended up getting so into it I added extra stages because I simply wanted to keep going. From the very first drill, basic draws, my revelation about the front sight started to have aftershocks. Focusing so much on the front sight, I decided to carry that mindset into my draws. I stared at the target, and pictured the sights blurring it. Just like when you look into a light then close your eyes, I could practically see the outline of my three dot sights on the A-zone. Then, I simply waited for the buzzer to go off, and made that image happen. No steps and details of my draw, I simply flipped the image before me from the target, to my front sights in front of the target. Like turning a page. All of a sudden there seemed to be extra time in every timed section, and instead of watching my front sight bounce into place it simply appeared on-target. I kept picturing Brian's first chapter as a third-person perspective, seeing myself acting out the motions. Was this flip-book imagery actually what he meant? Whatever it is, it works.

Going into a 2 Reload 2 to warm up my reloads, that same sight picture began to smooth out my draws. Speed is coming more naturally because things simply happen easier, less hesitation and fumbling.

Now, an El Prez. Shaved off .05 seconds of all the drills, still felt comfortable. The head snap combined with my new imagery fundamental had my times becoming more similar to my standard 6 reload 6 drills, the surrender position and turn barely made an impact because the head snap aligned everything into position afterwards. A few fumbled reloads that cost milliseconds. I started wishing I had a white painted magwell...Need to do that on my SIRT.

6 Reload Strong. Just to mix things up. This time I was back to running to keep up, that hand transition had me humbled and realizing the mild advantages two hands have when moving the firearm between targets. Rather than simply turreting and turning my body, the right hand took more maneuvering between targets. About halfway through, I wondered...what should I be picturing when reloading? The target, or something else?

Damn Burkett Reloads. But this time, I had an idea. I was going to 'flip-book' between my sight picture, and the mental image of the magazine next to the white magwell of my Glock. Buzz, flip the page. Within a few repetitions, I was skipping to the lower par times to keep myself from getting bored. .75 second reloads. This simple imagery smooths my technique and eliminates hesitant afterthoughts, less deliberate motion, my body simply makes the mental images happen. Considering I have a horrible habit of overthinking almost everything in my life, this may be a major step for me in building confidence and avoiding mid-stage freeze-ups as I try to calculate the solution to a problem. Instead, maybe I just...turn the page?

Between my day on the range yesterday and my night learning to make my sights appear on-target, I have to say I'm feeling like a stronger shooter by default having learned these things. I'm not necessarily performing better yet, but I'm realizing how and why I fail, and the path to changing those things. It's not about speed, it's about giving myself a clearer idea of what has to be done. I may be able to learn to call my shots, whereas days ago I marked that off as too advanced a technique. I now can draw my pistol on-target by focusing and making the sights appear. I'm sure you all learned to do that when you were half my age and no one really cares, but for a punk with an old Glock trying to be less of a poser? I'm proud.

Very cool. I was always interested in Fencing hard to keep the horses in without it.... bad joke i Know.. sorry lol.

aside from all the fencing jokes i always was quite interested. I've studied a good bit of japaneese swordsmanship. It sucks your range requires 1.5 seconds. I didn't start shooting handguns until i was 18. everyone starts at different points in their life. Looks like your doing damn well. Keep up the good work.

Call it Orcrist...

The slide releasing i is normal in most polymer guns when you seat a mag with authority.

I have never had it be reliable enough to happen during a match with confidence though.. i know some shooters tuned the slide release of their XD's to do this, but i've always had that fail at some point

• 2 weeks later...

No formal practice sessions this week, been working long hours and running events to the point of exhaustion. Took some time to at least get a few draws in and clicks with the SIRT, but no timed sessions because my spare time is now spent sleeping. Tomorrow I'm back on a live range with the same group I whiffed so badly in front of a month ago. Not a formal match, just a drills day. Today I had two job interviews (which went spectacular, I may be in an office job finally within two months) and a work shift...I'm simply too tired to strap the holster on and start drilling, but I'm still facing anxiety over this drill day tomorrow. What if I'm the slowest one on the line? What if there's an easily avoided malfunction? What if my finger gets in the guard while moving? What if I finish and holster, only to look up and see the targets with wide groups that are barely scored? What if the stage has a steel again, and once again...I can't even hit it?

I'm still clicking my SIRT away at my TV to try and feel engaged despite my exhaustion, this insecurity is that deep. I've stripped my Glock twice to insert the yellow training barrel, each time making myself put it back together with defense ammo again to put it on the nightstand a few feet away from this laptop. At least I know I'm too tired to practice, but the guilt from that took effort to shake off. I get off work tomorrow at noon, the drills start at 3:30...That's at least an hour to gear up and practice in my bedroom, then head out and do it live. I started all this because I didn't want to be the pity case that just tags along, but still says 'I compete' to non-shooters or casual range goers to seem competent. I'm down a four hundred dollar gun, who knows how much in ammunition, holsters, magazines, lessons, hours of practice, driving time and gas money, a lot of stress...Will it be worth it in the end?

I ended up having to stay an hour late at work. There went my practice time. Showed up to the range, spent some time quietly drawing at the safe area as people gradually filed in. Eventually it was just six of us. Two pros, father and son, running G34s, detachable belts, individual mag holsters, the works. Myself. And three guys who had never shot from a holster before who the range had arranged to show up. A low pressure environment, usually there's twice the presence and we do drills in shifts. Not that the Gucci offset holsters and custom Glocks didn't get to me, in my work jeans and Converse. To keep brass out of my eyes I'm using an old ball cap I got for free from a shipping company my father worked for. I'll buy a nicer 'shooting hat' when I earn it somehow.

Running through the initial warm-up drills. At first I was sighing how loose my groups seemed compared to the guys next to me...Then I noticed something a tad encouraging. I was holstering, and I was still hearing shots going off. I was now 'dialed in' from my dry fire, I now just tapped in the drills like a phone number. Once the coach began mixing things up such as head shots, random targets, weak hand, I found myself back in my learning phases. Nonetheless, I felt a difference out there with my two cardboard targets. I had a bit of a smile as the coach, who had last seen me struggling with underloaded mags and fumbling through stages, used me to demonstrate 'make safe' protocols and other little tidbits to the new guys. I was never approached with any advice or corrections, I was just waved off as 'one of the guys' while they worked on the others. My shirts were flying a bit high, balanced it out by tightening my grip which brought them back down. Some drifters to the sides when I did things one-handed, but at the end of the drills I only counted a couple outside the A-zone. Missed some head shots, can't get too confident yet. I was the only one drawing from concealment, a thin over-shirt.

The final test: A mock stage. Completely linear along a longer training range. You start shooting two from behind cover, walking to the right and putting two shots in three open targets on the move, then the last two behind cover on the other end. I had to shoot and walk? Crap. Nonetheless, I raised my hand to go second.

Thirteen point five seconds later, I counted off one miss on the last target from behind cover, two charlies. However, my coach and range officer in this stage completely ignored my target placement. As soon as my gun was holstered, I heard the word 'Very smooth!'. While I still fussed with the covered shots, I was surprised to find that the open targets while walking were surprisingly easy to focus my front sight on, I had the fastest time of the day despite keeping centered on those targets. The ones on the end I was whiffing? I can't remember the front sight, yet while moving I was seeing it hop on the A-zone.

Walking off the line after the targets were taped, the other coach walked up and grabbed my hand to shake it. This was the same man who'd first pulled me into competing, a wisened 1911 guru and the match organizer for most of the region. He was grinning and air gunning, saying I looked great. Compliments are not common in this circle, this was a moment. I was shrugging this off and pointing out the miss at the end, when he then asked what I was doing tomorrow.

"We're doing an outdoor match tomorrow, you should come on out. It's in Indiana. Be there at 9AM."

You want me to drive two hours out of state? No way. I have work. No, wait...I don't work until 3:30. It starts at nine? I won't have time to...No, wait...that could work. It's outdoors? I've never shot a pistol outdoors before. Indiana? Isn't that where the show 'Parks and Rec' takes place?Several failed excuses later, I told him I'd be there.

This is absolutely insane, but I'm currently laying out my cleaning kit to prep my Glock for a competition I just found out about a few hours ago. Left a casual party early to get ready for this. Leaving at 6AM with my cheap range bag full of Federal ammo, breakfast I can eat while driving and a thermal layer underneath my range gear. I've never met anyone in IDPA or Action Pistol for that matter outside of the small crowd that shoots with this training group that hosts matches. I'm not an IDPA member and of course have no number, rank, or record. This would be my...fourth match? Last January I was pulling my pistol out of storage and teaching myself to shoot it, now I'm driving out of state to a match.

"Oh, and don't forget our monthly competition next Tuesday."

Two competitions in three days. I really should have practiced more.

You really do not need to be intimidated by other shooters. I know around here, people don't judge. Honestly, most are so focused on their own shooting, they wouldn't even notice if you were shooting with your feet, so long as you are safe. I just started too, and I have never felt judged. Maybe that is just me. Good luck.

I've been up since 6AM and just got off closing the store at work. Expect some delirium. Made it to the match about half an hour before, it was initially brisk but by the end of the day it was in the fifties, simply a beautiful day. Bigger turnout, twenty nine competitors cycling in squads between the four stages spread across three ranges. Considering usually we just change out the stage in a single training range, this was cool to see. My squad consisted of one expert in a sponsored vest, two beginners shooting their first IDPA event, and a decent pack of competitors.

The first stage: Eerily similar to the drill I did last night. Two points of cover, three targets. Shoot from behind cover, reload, move to other cover and fire six shots while moving, reload and send out one last volley strong hand only. While I initially felt great about my time and how similar this was, my accuracy flopped horribly and I just had to call this one a warm-up. For strong hand, I shot from the left side of cover. Why? Because I hadn't realized how much more stable it would be to shoot from the right side. The moving targets seemed fine, but my strong hand only needs work. One of the best times posted, but with the worst accuracy possible to the point I should have been...well, aiming.

Second stage: Three targets in front of a table with unloaded gun and mags. Face away from table, turn, load, crouch to low cover and fire two into each. This was basically the same drill I've been doing on my bedroom door for the last month. 7.45 seconds, and the first time I've ever truly cleared a stage, worst shot was right on the fold of the circle. Major confidence builder, until I saw the pro knock it out in five point something. I'm still pausing between targets as I transition, need to learn to use the recoil to move the gun short distances.

Stage 3: Aiming around a traditional cover maze, peeking at targets. Figured I'd only load ten to time my reload between targets. Then was politely told that the 'Barney mag' was not a privilege as I'd thought and was mandatory. I know realize the awkward mid-target reload...was intentional, and I suddenly started respecting stage design for those frustrating but thought provoking little touches. Only procedural deduction for the day, nothing worth mentioning performance wise.

Stage 4: Remember the range officer who invited me to come out? Did I mention his stages are well known for being so difficult and bizarre that people who hate IDPA shoot his tournaments solely for entertainment value? This stage was practically a haunted house, it was that elaborate and wild. Moving through a 'hallway', you're greeted with a target hiding between two barrels with under a foot of visible target to shoot...two targets with hostages...a half-target...two clamshell targets, activated by the same trap-door. And at the end? A swinger behind a barrel activated by a plate. As we walked through the stage, the designer walked by and cackled at our reactions. The weirdest target I'd ever handled before was a drop-spinner, now I was handling everything under the sun.

I wussed out. I debated a tactic of engaging the swinger early and saving the clamshells for last...instead, I just followed the usual path. Hit the plate in two shots, landed one on the swinger, clamshells were hit high but landed my two shots. No one 'excelled'' at this stage, but everyone had a great time. I was just happy I was able to hit that steel.

Stage five. It immediately appeared to be some kind of Wild West saloon. A 'lobby' area flanked on both sides with targets, then a door which when opened, activates a spinner target. Behind the doorway, two plates, one of which activated a pop-up from behind a barrel. Eight targets, two steel. Very, very confusing stage. I dreaded being the third to shoot in order because my strategy was untested. Low and behold, the range officer who designed it wandered by and asked to shoot through...and he used my same pattern. Maybe it was worth a shot after all.

I...don't remember much about this stage. I remember my front sight bouncing like a flea on each target, I remember the eternity it took for the pop-up to appear after I heard the steel clang, and the last target had me tempted to take another Vickers shot but I instead backed down and ended it. After clearing, I walked up to that last target and stared at the two wide holes. A 3. On a simple clear shot. This was how my day ended. Then, I heard scores being called out.

'1...0...0...0...'

...What?

Turns out, that 3 was my worst target. I'd nailed a zero on the pop up, a 2 on the spinner...and everything else was dead-on. Some one let out a long whistle. I just let that feeling hang for a bit, then stayed busy pasting targets, and stayed a half hour taking everything down. I wasn't sure what my time was on that last stage. I...really needed to know, but had to get to work two hours away.

A dreadful five hour weekend shift later, as the new 'Walking Dead' played, I checked online and viewed the posted scores. In SSP, I'd placed 11 out of 22. Overall, I'd placed 14 out of 29.

Stage ranks

Stage 1: 18

Stage 2: 8

Stage 3: (procedural) 10

Stage 4: 13

Stage 5: 3

...Third?! I double checked the combined scores. Out of all twenty nine shooters, I placed 5th on that last stage, two slots behind my instructor who took second overall. Looking over my overall ranking of 14th, I'd managed to place above three ESP shooters, and virtually all of the MM-classified shooters except for three. Considering two nights ago I was a nervous wreck over showing up to an informal drills night, you can imagine I'm rather confused and waiting for a clearer explanation such as a scoring problem.

This was an amazing day. Three hours of driving for 185.56 seconds of creative shooting no range can provide. I got to spend a gorgeous day outside with good people I enjoyed talking to and working with. I left with a scratch paper covered with things I need to work on, learned little things that will prevent newbie procedural penalties in the future, had a blast on some ridiculously fun stages, shot my Glock outdoors for the first time...And it looks like all the hours clicking away at my wall and annoying my roommate with my shot timer weren't a waste of time. In two days we have our local match, the last of which went so badly it inspired my sudden devotion to training, including this rambling journal. Hopefully this all wasn't a fluke and I'm able to keep up.

For now, I'm too exhausted to clean my gun, and they stuck me with an early morning shift tomorrow. No one gets a medal for 11th place, but it's still going on the shelf as one of my top achievements.

Edited by Highwayman

48 Hours after my match Sunday, I made it back to my home range where I was first instructed. I had an absolutely horrific day at work before this, my mood was beyond downtrodden and I needed a good night. Cue bad traffic all the way home, then all the way to the range...luckily things were running behind and even showing up three minutes late I had time to get my gear on. Cue finding that sometime during my outdoor match, my Blade Tech holster had loosened its screws and one screw was MIA nowhere to be found. I tightened the remaining two as much as I could, and just rolled on. It could only get better from there. Very small turnout of only around fourteen shooters, including the directors and officers, mostly the heavy competitors and a few semi-regulars.

Stage One: First shooter of the night. Typical L-shaped stage, move from behind cover one way or the other and clean the far targets while maneuvering. Procedural for trying to move forward behind cover, looks like I briefly moved into target zone while crossing around the barricade. Very good catch on the part of the scorekeeper who noticed this, we paced it back after the stage was over and it was a good discussion. Saw the A zone every target, only one deduction. I was one of the slower times of the night, nothing too impressive, but recently discovering my front sight I wanted to just clean the targets tonight and focus on fundamentals. I need to work on my initial front sight focus when the stage begins, instead of focusing on my sight as I draw I draw, and am peeking around the corner and later bringing my sight picture up. I should be chasing the front sight from behind initial cover.

Stage 2: We lost the printout for this stage, so the RO made one up on the spot. Insane zig-zag cover, scattered targets on a line at the end. I dreaded being first as I simply could not figure out a real strategy during my walk-through, ended up just going tactical. Move forward, watch for any targets to shoot from the corners, and loosely count how many were left in the back of my head. Cleaned the targets, terrible time, gave everyone after me a good sense of how painful this improvised stage was as they all later told me. Not that I'm complaining, was good practice for blind stages.

As bad as this night ended up being score-wise, here begins a twist that made my day worthwhile. After running through the second stage, one of the best shooters of the night said it was his turn to shoot and asked who could handle the scorekeeping. They use an electronic system with a Kindle and Nook tied into Practiscore. The RO looked around, then waved me over and told the scorekeeper to give me a lesson on using the system. Before I knew it, I was shadowing the RO, and quickly learned to count procedurals on the fingers of his hand and to echo the time and scores as he called them. Two shooters later, I had the order down, and I spent the rest of the night scorekeeping for two stages and reloading my mags while the other side was being shot. I learned some nuances about scoring, including the fact head shots actually counted. I simply had never been told that. When my next stage included a target with a hostage covering it with nothing but a head and shoulder visible, I was grateful. I watched how the RO observed not the targets, but the gun and its user. Witnessed a few interesting calls such as extra shots, cover usage, underloading mags, and one thankfully harmless 'HOLSTER! HOLSTER!' call with a new shooter. I was later thanked for scorekeeping, and when I told them I didn't mind and it was fun...

“Good. Expect to be doing this for the rest of your life.”

...The life of a volunteer...

Stage 3: A simple slider stage behind a barricade. Lean from the right, six shots on three targets freestyle. Reload, shoot from other side strong-hand only from the left side to emphasize that lean. Six rounds to induce slide-lock, second mag to capacity. I received a procedural for taking a small step while taking cover after going to slide-lock, to which the RA added 'Yet another reason to do IPSC' with a chuckle. A few scattered shots with my right hand, but strong groupings.

Stage 4: Another L-shape, but this time with targets flanking both sides to hinder movement behind cover. Placed mid-pack by risking two long-range targets and cutting the pie around the corner, kept my front sight in mind this time and was pleased with the results, even the long-range targets were cleaned. The shooter after me received a cover procedural, only for two other shooters to do the same. I was slow and taking my time, but I learned that I could make those long shots and played it safe in a mine field.

Stage 5: Did I mention my RO is old school combat shooting? This stage had us standing behind a barricade with the center cut out, with a wooden cross-bar in the center. We didn't have to cover as we fired at the three targets the first time, but we were mandated to hold the muzzle behind the cross bar, and below the cross-bar. All shots had to be strong-hand only. He'd found a way to force us into the 'retention' position and make us shoot from the hip in competition. Extremely fun stage, scoring be damned. My first target was wide, second was closer, and by the third I did manage two zeros from the hip. From there, while there were no misses, I ended up middle of the pack because I'm simply horrible at strong hand shots. My RO and coach noted afterwords that my recoil was notable, and that crushing the grip more one-handed would aid that. I followed a tip from a combat type to cant the gun 45 degrees, and seeing as there were no misses I'll guess it was a solid bit of advice. From now on, every session has to include something strong hand only. I've found my weakness.

Placed 9th out of 14. Slow times, but had some of the lowest point deductions because I was taking time and sniping. Next competition I'm going back to rushing like a moron, now that I know my accuracy is possible I need to push it and start increasing efficiency. My Sunday competition was a speed run praying for accuracy, last night was target practice with obstacles. Either way, I had fun.

After the last stage, the RO took down the barricades and invited everyone present to stick around and practice firing from the hip at the surviving targets because many of us weren't members at outdoor clubs and didn't have this opportunity very often. This carried on the instruction-heavy theme of the group, this RO hates what IDPA has become and designs these crazy stages to develop actual shooting skills and make us fight for it. I should be wondering what mainstream stages are like, but frankly this is exactly what I sought out competition shooting for. Being given the nod to start score-keeping and being taken aside to be taught the system had me feeling pretty good after a long day working retail, I was able to be chasing the shooter with the RO instead of pacing the crowd waiting to shoot like my first four matches. I'm still new to the social circle and don't have much to talk about, at least this lets me stay busy and get more of an education.

Two competitions in three days, spent my spare time cleaning my Glock, didn't have any left for dry fire. Today I had my first half-day off in a long while and took the day off except for some casual clicking with my SIRT while watching TV. Tomorrow I have most of the day off except for a job interview and night meeting, going to tune my dry fire selections for drills that replicate what I've seen during these back-to-back competitions. I may just have to block my roommate's terrier in somewhere and work on movement drills from the hallway if I have to. I spoke to Blade-Tech about the busted holster, they were fantastic and are sending me a repair kit and spare parts.

A week later. I've had five job interviews this week, four meetings, play rehearsals, work...back to dry fire. For this session, I decided to break the mold and stop just running through these drills endlessly and counting half seconds. All shots would be taken from strong hand only, as I need to break in a newly tweaked position. I started off with a long set of draw and acquires with a timer, followed by a modified Bill Drill strong-only. Finished up with 6 reload 6, all strong. By the time I was done, I abandoned the par timer entirely and was just working on fine-tuning my new stance step-by-step. Spent an extra half hour just working on the basic feel of it. No reloads, no endless draws, I need to be shooting one-handed to drag myself up in placings second by second.

-Draw and acquire felt just as fast, but I'm sure the lost accuracy will compensate for this quickly. Same flip-book technique I discovered with freestyle, this imagery made the new sight picture easier to memorize.

-Locking my shoulder up near my jaw, arm locked out, sights canted 45 degrees to the left. Initially was bending my head as well, but eventually settled for chin touching my raised shoulder.

-Tightening grip on the pistol. Felt it trembling on the later sets, need to work on grip training and long holds to aid that.

-Transitions needed some adjusting, caught myself losing the front sight between targets. Final sets I was working on only moving from the knee-down, pivoting in place and watching the target slide behind the front sights without any adjustments needed.

-Trigger feels weird without the support hand bracing the gun. Not unstable, not like I'm moving the gun, it just feels more like a lever than a button being pressed.

-Empty mag in the gun just felt bizarre with a tight grip, need to get a second weighted training magazine for my SIRT to really make these effective. In freestyle it's not as bad, but one-handed the gun balance gets thrown out entirely.

Hoping this is a good start to building up a strong-handed shooting foundation, and to test it out live on the range tomorrow after yet another job interview. Truly appreciating the luxuries of two-handed shooting and understanding the dynamic a bit more trying it all cowboy-style, my support hand feels like a bench rest by comparison. As my job search may soon pay off, I'm looking into what that will allow shooting-wise. More free weekends to travel, more live fire sessions, little odds and ends to make dry fire more comfortable, buying some used magazines off a forum member...All this has been robbing me of practice time, but having a real career would allow for this to become a full-fledged hobby instead of an improvised effort.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a rough two weeks, but I have to say it was worth losing the practice time. I'm now employed full-time, will be starting my new job Monday. No more traveling every day for interviews, no more long weekend shifts, I'll be working 8-5 just like the rest of the world and will have regular nights free. More money to spend on training ammo, more time to shoot and practice. I can't shoot if I can't eat, hopefully the transition from broke cashier with a Glock to a nonprofit professional with a Glock is a good one.

Shaking off the rust, I initially was incredibly discouraged by how slow I'd become and was missing the mark even on basic 6 reload 6 drills. Some extra repetitions later, I was cutting it close again. Spent a long while breaking in my new strong hand only stance, it's becoming more natural as I stop trying to tilt my head and keep my body stationary except for the right arm movement. Turreting helps considerably. Reloads were fumbling, but eventually calmed down as I remembered the mental image from last time. Cooled down with extra reload drills to relieve that. From now on, halving my reload drill reps, only focusing on them when it becomes an issue such as today.

After my usual warm-ups and basic drills, I tried a head-target drill for the first time. Three head shots, reload, then three again in reverse order. This one floored me. I was amazed at how what should have been easier, one shot at a time, in fact had the buzzer going off after only three shots. Aiming and focusing on the smaller target was a new challenge entirely. Turreting now not only 'helped', it was the only way to pull this off. Draw, lock onto target, and slide over twice without messing with my body posture. I ended up doing double repetitions on this one to get a feel for 'sniping' rather than just clicking the trigger in the A zone. Upon discovering the head targets even counted during my last match, I need to focus on these harder shots to avoid losing time maneuvering around no-shoots and barricades if I can aim for the upper target.

Have been using Captains of Crush grippers during this time off, hoping I can slowly build grip strength and gain some stability. I'm about 126 pounds, needless to say any muscle mass is going to help with recoil no matter how good my technique is.

Next local match is Tuesday. My last match was my slowest to date because I was focusing on accuracy, this time around my goal is to visualize every inch of the stage...and make it happen. Just come up with a flawless execution of my plan, and hopefully develop some kind of pre-shot ritual to focus. Then again I'll probably be score-keeping, so I may have to toss out that plan and just focus on shooting my turn.

Pretty cool. Read the whole thing. 126 lbs is way more than enough for recoil. Getting the slide to go forward when you slam a mag home is one of the joys of Glocks. Just be sure it's aimed at a target! After awhile it all comes clear. Awesome keep going

Last long Saturday shift at my retail job, one shower later I was strapped up with my Blade-Tech rig. Initially I was aiming for my usual hour of clicking away while watching a movie in the background, instead I've had my SIRT gun on for about four hours and have been working on-off all night. Started off with that head-shot drill from last night, finding it much easier and turned down the timer to stay interested. Then some strong hand work, with a little weak hand to start teaching that mirror image grip. The strong hand feels more natural, really should get to a range and try it live to see if its a stable position for me. I then started worrying about how bad my reloads had been, and tried a few 2 reload 2 sets. I was so slow that I spent the better part of an hour just trying to shave off half-seconds and figure out what I was doing wrong. Turns out, it was the reload. Once I got my mental image clear, I managed to shave it down from three seconds to 2.5 seconds at my best. Stare at the target...make the front sights appear, make the mag well appear, then make that front sight appear again. Like flipping through a photo album. My reloads were so sloppy I forced a set of Burketts, needed to focus on my left hand holding the mag correctly. Once again, switching between the weighted SIRT mag and the empty ten rounder...That's getting old.

After a killer nine hour shift on my feet, I ended up slumped in my desk chair for a while. Stayed busy doing freestyle and strong hand draws at random cues from a seated position, our RO likes to throw in those stages occasionally. When I eventually moved out to the living room, I worked on acquiring the front sight on distant light switches and door knobs instead of my miniature targets at ten feet. Sitting here right now watching 'Pulp Fiction' on Netflix, I'm challenging myself to draw and acquire whenever Travolta's character appears. No, I'm not clicking the trigger, just doesn't feel right with a human being even if it's a face on a TV.

One last retail shift tomorrow, then starting Monday I'm in a cubicle from here on out 8-5. Already looking for ways to fit training into my new schedule. My grip trainers will keep my hands busy while editing documents, will try and find what weeknight is the least busy at my local range. Another weighted training magazine would run me twenty five dollars, that's more than a box and a half of ammunition...But with these mag fumbles, I really need some consistency to train with.

Two days late because I've had meetings after work with my new job this week, but here is my entry on my match last Tuesday. Wild night, got more than my money's worth. Found out the night before that there would be two separate matches technically, because the evening would be starting out with a completely blind stage and it would be scored as a stand-alone event. This attracted a packed crowd of twenty four shooters. We all had nothing else to do but gear up, wait outside the barricade as each shooter was eventually scored and was then allowed to help paste targets. Heard the first DQ I've seen from across the barricade, a brand new shooter had not grasped the muzzle rule in such an unusual first stage. Cover violations were basically mandatory across the board. Everyone was posting high times, it was bizarre to be hearing occasional frantic shots instead of the usual cadence of a stage. It sounded like...an actual gunfight. Wow, so that's what reality sounds like.

Cold range. Very cold range. Kept my coat on between stages, my pre-shot routine began to revolve around that. When I was on deck, take off the coat, gun up, three draws, then watch the guy before me and clear my head. Afterwards, I'd head outside and have a cookie. My coach is also an expert chef and brings unbelievable baked goods for everybody, I am being sincere about how awesome that is. Coat, gun, draw, shoot, cookie. That is my current routine to stay focused and relaxed.

All I was told before I was led in, was 'nine targets, two each'. No scenario, no warnings, no target types. All I remember from this stage was the silence as I was slowly cutting around corners, constantly glancing around for anything brown, and how incredibly crowded he'd made the stage. It was like wandering through a maze of cubicles. Although there was an eighteen shot limit...I somehow fired twenty shots counting afterwards. If I'd shot something twice it didn't show in my scores, and I only had one cover violation which I was told was very rare. There was a bizarre sense of fulfillment after the last shot rang out and I'd counted nine targets, it was hide and seek with a Glock. Incredibly fun, this stage alone was worth the commuting time.

First normal stage: Begin behind a barrier, with a hinged 'peephole' in it you had to knock down to shoot the first target through. Lot of guys muzzle-bumped it and it was fine by the RO, I banged it with my left hand while drawing. Cut around and looped the rest of the targets, managed to stay moving while hitting one tucked behind a corner. Only one bravo. The simple stage directions let me just focus on efficiency, rehearsed it repeatedly in my head, first time I've ever been able to pull off movement. The reload took place between shots on the last target, didn't get a chance to move and reload as the rules now allow. And as usual, everything went downhill from here. Later found out I placed 6th out of 24 shooters, all classes included.

Second stage: Very fun dynamic one. Turn and retreat, shoot two targets on the move, then aim around several vertical barriers at targets spread out quite a ways downrange. I kept practicing the turn and retreat but those shots were my worst, watched the front sight bounce on these longer shots. Cutting a corner, I found myself having a mild freeze-up as I saw the second target. Shook it off and carried on. Just a loss of focus apparently, needed to relax. The longer shots were scored better, gave me some confidence at my accuracy but should have done better on those retreating targets. 14 out of 24.

Stage three: I hate being honest. I truly, truly hate being honest. Simple stationary stage, hold onto an object with your left hand and shoot six targets, once each, strong hand only. I got so cocky getting into my new canted, shoulder-high stance and turreting...God it was horrible. I could barely make out the front sight, rushed through it, and even with a fast time ended up with the worst shots of the evening. So bad it was 21 out of 24. I am officially ditching the tilted gun for strong hand shots, I need to keep it vertical for that sight picture. If I'd taken my time and actually...remembered...the front...sight, I'd have been middle of the pack as usual.This stage will haunt my dreams. I am no longer a man. My father was right for never hugging me.

Stage four: Turn, take low cover behind barrel, six shots at low targets. Retreat to behind barricade, six shots on high targets. Felt fine crouching, but found it hard to turret without using my legs, lost some points there. Hauled back to the barricade, and after watching others pinged for foot placement attempted a textbook barrier hug while finishing the stage. I must remember my shots being worse than they were, looking at the scores I only had two points, and took 7th for that one.

After I was finally done, with a long line behind me and a long drive home, I still was having a great time despite how ashamed I was of stage three. I felt like my pants had fallen down, it was that ridiculously stupid. I got my gear off and spent the rest of the night pasting targets, since we'd all spent half the night waiting for that blind stage I actually had a couple people to talk to for a change. Until now I've spent my evenings pacing off to the side, now people remember my name and will occasionally mention me as a 'Glock guy' or a 'regular' in passing. Can't say I'm friends with anyone I shoot with sadly, but it's a nice little club with good people I can crack jokes with. As I was packing up for the night one of my instructors longtime students went out of her way to say I'd shown a lot of improvement, which had me on cloud nine after that third stage.

The next day at my new job (I absolutely love it, if they didn't even pay me I'd still love it), I popped up the practiscore page on my phone and found these scores. My final placing was 12 out of 24. In SSP, I was 7 out of 16. If I had calmed the hell down before stage three, I'd have broken into the single digits for the first time. My best match ever was my fifth, the outdoor one over in Indiana, where I took 14th out of 28. Taking 12 out of 24, I've managed to prove a pattern to myself. If not for that one horrible stage...I'd have been in the top ten of the evening, right up there with the instructors and the guys in the vests. So close. So damn close. Instead, I shot that third stage like a monkey throwing politics.

Oh, yeah, the blind stage. I took tenth out of 24. I...really had no idea what was going on there, no one did, I feel like posting a blind stage score is like saying you won at roulette in Vegas. No skill or talent, that's just how the number fell.

But besides that third stage...life is good. My new job is wonderful, finally working full time and receiving full wages and benefits, first paycheck is next Wednesday. As a silly tribute to the cashier job that paid my rent the last few months, on my last day I used my discount to buy a four dollar hat that simply looked functional and had a subdued logo of our store. Black with grey letters. I always wore a beat-up khaki one on the range because it was all I had, showing up to the range in a cheap hat that made me look two degrees less awkward was a bold move for me. You all can tell how insecure I am about how I look on the range, the only thing I fear worse than being seen as an amateur, is being seen as an amateur dolled up like a Top Shot wannabe. But placing exactly middle of the pack twice after eleven months of picking up a pistol, I've chilled out and have stopped caring about what color and quality of brass-deflecting hat I'm wearing.

Edited by Highwayman

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a long week full of holiday travel, rehearsals, and meetings...and for once, I stuck to my gun. Since last Sunday I've done a minimum of half an hour of dry fire a day, even if it's just front sight picture and a few reloads. Today was my first full day off in weeks, and to celebrate I just finished up a full hour and ten minutes straight of drilling where I completed nine drills from the book back-to-back. Do not let me do that again, I'm chugging water and wringing out my shirt currently. I've found myself outgrowing the stationary drills, I'm going to need a place to move. Also, whatever one of these 'boxes' are where you have to step in one to shoot. And now I find the later drills are mostly plates...I'm not even sure if steel challenge is available around here, but why not.

I'm not noticing any notable time jumps, although I can comfortably shave milliseconds off my strong hand drills because the new grip has settled in by force. Reloads feel more natural, and even when I play bumper-cars with the mag that didn't fall free I can still keep up with the timer typically. This whole week has been strong hand focused, with some weak hand thrown in just to work on my grip strength and try and program some symmetry. As much as I want to give my tactical friends credit, I'm not sure what I was thinking trying that fancy tilted stance. By simply knocking that off, the natural sight picture was easier and faster. Been working on one handed draws, the vice grip, head shots, target transitions...Everything they could toss at me in those infamous strong hand stages. This should have happened months ago, I'd have been placing a handful higher consistently if I'd worked on this glaring weakness instead of playing cowboy and doing quick-draw.

I was lying awake a couple nights ago, ended up reliving that bad stage. Again. I...cannot, remember, the sight picture. I remember how the gun felt, I remember how my ankles felt while I turreted...I had turned the stage into choreography, I didn't just look at the A-zones and shoot. I looked great, felt great, but simply wasn't shooting. If I had taken my time letting the front sight surprise me once per target and rush the transition rather than the shot, I could have had a top ten placement. And that waitress I asked out would have said yes. And I would have been taller than 5'6. But I have to give myself minimal credit, 12th place with a last-place stage is still a sign that I'm not that kid hoping to pass his CCW range test anymore.

Training wise, I'm still somewhat on-the-leash budget wise but things are about to get much easier. I'm going to dent my first paycheck from the new job with a factory discount from my last job, and will end up eventually with a Springfield Loaded 1911 I'll gradually be tinkering with to try Single Stack USPSA someday. I'll still be mostly practicing with my SIRT which is a Glock basically, but I'd like a long-term project and a reward for finally getting the job. I've officially ran out of the thousand round bulk pack of Federal I got last March, now I'm down to a few boxes of the stuff I'd bought at the store I worked at. I'll easily be able to afford another bulk pack I can send away for...Except that will be in two weeks, my first paycheck is mostly that 1911 I had to purchase now or never to get the detail, my rent, and car insurance. If I can ration these few boxes of 9mm for the next few weeks, I'll then be shooting live fire weekly instead of this mostly dry fire regime. I will most likely end up shooting most of my remaining stash strong handed.

The night of December 16th will be my next IDPA match, and will officially mark my having spent one year training with pistols. I started last January by pulling this old Glock out of storage with no idea how to use it, whatever my placing is on the 16th will be the my benchmark. I'll try to avoid thinking about that, but I'd really like to make this one count.