Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To cam-over or not? RT1200 on S1050 for .308W

Hi all!

It seems that if I am to size brass anywhere near SAAMI min (headspace dimension) the Dillon trim die needs a firm contact with the shell-plate, such that the press cams-over. Is it really ok to do this? Previously I've managed to slightly bend a shell-plate during initial attempts to free a stuck case, so I want to be sure I'm not going to damage another one if I set the die to give a firm contact. I guess that the shell-plate is supported from underneath but can I be sure of no ill effects of camming-over? or would I be better-off shaving a few thousandths off the bottom of the die?

Loading .308 Win for a club Palma team using once fired Lapua brass. 2-pass loading on a S1050, Prep pass uses Dillon trim die with RT1200.

Thanks for your thoughts and tips!

Bob.

I had the same problem with .223 and my 1050. I called Dillon and the guy at the help desk told me to take a few thousandths off the bottom of the die with a sander. I did and it works fine. No cam over and the cartridge fits in the go / no go gauge just like it should.

Thanks for the comments.

I'd prefer not to cam-over if I can avoid it.

Any particular reason to use an additional sizing die in preference to shaving a few thou off the dillon size/trim die?

I was thinking of using a Redding body die, so that at least the neck isn't getting worked-over twice, and to leave some 'grip' in the dillon size/trim to resist case-spinning. Does this sound like a good plan?

The cam-over or at least moderate shellplate contact helps keep your trim/size in tolerance. Something to consider. If you set up everything so it's completely floating, you'll likely start to see a larger range of trim sizes and headspace tolerances.

I don't know how hard you are hitting, but some contact is a good thing.