Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broke a 1050 shellplate today...

Tore the press down for cleaning and lubing. When I reassembled, the shellplate was not advancing consistently...grabbing it only every few pulls. So I pulled the toolhead back off trying to see what was going on...thought I was being careful when Dooh!....the swager snapped off an edge. I have had the 1050 for a couple of years now so just ordered another...$73 is not too bad I guess. I am still puzzled why the shellplate was not advancing properly....I am thinking the shellplate was too tight when I reassembled? Does that make sense? I am also wondering if I had the swage rod adjusted wrong - though if the shellplate was properly aligned by the toolhead (which I had taken off) the swage would not have hit the edge.

Edited by blueeyedme

Certainly the shell plate could have been too tight but check the return spring on the back of the frame that returns the arm that advances the shell plate. It is very thin gauge wire and I have to replace one every 20K cycles.

But you shouldn't be surprised by what happened. The alignment pin on the tool head is the failsafe. With it removed you have to be damned sure on the alignment before cranking the handle.

I don't have any busted plates but I am tempted to try one of the GS Custom plates sold on eBay.

Certainly the shell plate could have been too tight but check the return spring on the back of the frame that returns the arm that advances the shell plate. It is very thin gauge wire and I have to replace one every 20K cycles.....

Thanks for the tip on the return spring - I will take a look at that. I'm staying with OEM and ordered from Dillon.