Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg 935

Huck

I was just at a gart sports and handled a mossberg 935 autoloader 12ga 3.5 in shotgun. It felt good. It had a lightpipe, and a big loading port. It was light and had screw in chokes and claimed to be backbored. It looked pretty sharp. It was only $399. The mag tube threads looked to be the same as remington's 870. Has anybody handled or shot these, and does anybody know if it will shoot light loads? It looks like if it would run it would be a sub $500 3-gun shotgun, after adding a mag tube. Benny your expertiese would be appreciated!!

• 2 years later...

Did it look lilke this??

mossbergdefenseshotgun.jpg

That is a Mossberg 930 Tactical - and it looks suspiciously like a Winchester Super X-2 Mk. II or FN Tactical autoloader - only the Mossberg only costs approximately $497.44.

Any other reviews?

Does the Mossberg 930 = Winchester Super X-2 ???

Did it look lilke this??

mossbergdefenseshotgun.jpg

That is a Mossberg 930 Tactical - and it looks suspiciously like a Winchester Super X-2 Mk. II or FN Tactical autoloader - only the Mossberg only costs approximately $497.44.

Any other reviews?

Does the Mossberg 930 = Winchester Super X-2 ???

No it is almost identical to the SX3 or is it SX4? Whatever the newest one is they came out with. I have about 400 rds through mine and it is simply awsome. I'll shoot it at the Carolina Tactical Invitational this weekend. I report back as to how it does. I have shot two local matches with it so far with no hiccups. The only issue is slug groups. At 55yds it groups about 4 inches. The barrel has a single fiberoptic bead on the front. It need a mid bead for more precise shooting. This is the only gripe, if you can call it that, that I have. I have been very impressed with it so far. The 930 in the picture is a 3" shell length, the 935 will handle the 3.5" shells. It took a bit of tuning to get it to run with the light bird buck and slug rounds used in competition but the results so far have been well worth it. The only uncertainty about the gun will be its longevity. Spare parts do not seem to be available for this gun. We'll see what kind of service life I get out of it. PM me if you want to know what I had to do to get it to run on the light stuff. I can include specs for every cut I made.

• 5 months later...

Disclosure: I shoot a Super X-2 MK-1 and have since it came out. I like my gun and I am not in the market for a new gun.

BUT, I love new USPSA & 3gun technology. This gun looks promising for our sport. I looked at the Mossberg site and their factory is in the USA.

Unlike the Benelli, which CANNOT be fitted with a pistol grip & mag extension since its imported, the Mossberg would be OK with a pistol grip stock so long as you could find a pistol grip stock to fit it.

Also, from the puicture on the cover of this month's Blue Press, I can see the Mossberg's bolt is quite different from my Winchester/FN/BrowningGold.

Here is a link to a review with more pictures:

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167

It is clearly NOT a copy of the Super X2/FN/Browning Gold. BUT, it seems to share some design features; see photo (from link above - thnx). Look at the way that force from the gas piston is transferred through a polymer collar with a steel rod to push the bolt rearward (like the SX2/FN):

mountdetentholewm.jpg

I recently read an article in one of the gun mags about the new Mossbergs. According to the author (and we know that gun writers are honest in the extreme) the gun is super reliable. They used a couple on a bird hunt in Argentina and fired many thousands of rounds through them without one malfunction. IF they're that good, and they certainly are cheap, we may have a new gun to play with. According to the article the Tactical only comes with a 7 round mag and 18" barrel, though. Will the Winchester mag extensions fit the Mossberg?

• 2 months later...
I recently read an article in one of the gun mags about the new Mossbergs. According to the author (and we know that gun writers are honest in the extreme) the gun is super reliable. They used a couple on a bird hunt in Argentina and fired many thousands of rounds through them without one malfunction. IF they're that good, and they certainly are cheap, we may have a new gun to play with. According to the article the Tactical only comes with a 7 round mag and 18" barrel, though. Will the Winchester mag extensions fit the Mossberg?

Longer extensions are here, from Choate, the maker of the factory extension. I just wish the SPX had screw in chokes But thats fixable. And most of the regular 24" 930s seem to be ported?

http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_page.cfm...mp;NewProduct=0