Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Similarities between CZ's and Sphinxes

EatsEverything

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I talked with David at CGW and he was very concerned with the light primer strikes. I will be sending him the gun tomorrow so he can take a look at it and figure out what is going on. I'll let you know more when I hear back.

Very good guys at CGW.

I took mine apart and polished the firing pin - especially the area that engages the firing pin block (rounded some edges). Frog lubed FP and channel. Shot 300 WWB 115 gr. and 50 Winchester 147 gr. Train and Defend ammo - absolutely no issues. Either the firing pin was dragging in the channel or the FPB was hanging up the FP. You may want to try this if you haven't already. The final test will be to get my hands on some Russian ammo (Tula at wallyworld) and see if it ignites them reliably - David at CGW told me Tula was known for hard primers.

• 3 weeks later...

I took mine apart and polished the firing pin - especially the area that engages the firing pin block (rounded some edges). Frog lubed FP and channel. Shot 300 WWB 115 gr. and 50 Winchester 147 gr. Train and Defend ammo - absolutely no issues. Either the firing pin was dragging in the channel or the FPB was hanging up the FP. You may want to try this if you haven't already. The final test will be to get my hands on some Russian ammo (Tula at wallyworld) and see if it ignites them reliably - David at CGW told me Tula was known for hard primers.

I agree with him. During the great Primer shortage years ago, I was forced to buy and use 50k Wolf/Tula Small Pistol Primers. Unless you were using a non firing pin blocked gun with a heavy hammer spring, the chance for light strikes was ridiculously high. Sometimes it was 50% or more. Luckily I have used all of that up and I am back to sticking with Federals and Winchester.

@FrontSightGoesWhere - it's been about a month - do you have an update about when the full-sized model will be available in Q2? Also, any info on the production model?

Thanks!

bump