Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

rl550 decap resize crushing brass 9mm

Doctor

some of the time the 9mm brass does not seat correctly on the shellplate?

it rises crookedly on the plate when the ram is raised and hits the side of the die and gets cut and crushed

i am using dillon dies. I have not found a difference lubed or not

i am unsure how to adjust the wire that keeps the brass in place when you slide the brass onto the shell plate at stage one

is the primer cut supposed to be a bit down from the shellplate?

when i slide the brass in occaisionally it seems to need to ride over the prime

and i am not sure how tight to get the shellplate down

and could the rod from the powder die have a problem with any stage of reloading if you tighten the blue nut too tightly?

thans in advance for the help

i am new to this and i get it almost right most of the time but its frustrating to destroy the brass and not be sure how to fix the problem

The wire should look like this. It just touches the case to hold it in the shell plate but does not put any pressure on the case to cause it to tilt. If this is not adjusted correctly it will cause your problem. You may have to bend it up slightly to keep it from catching the shell plate as it rotates. If you raise the ram slightly and look under the shell plate platform on the left side there is a set screw in the ram. Loosen the set screw and then turn down the big allen screw in the middle of the shell plate until the shell plate just rotates freely. Re-tighten the allen screw in the left side of the ram and you are done adjusting the shell plate.

IMG_2153.jpg

Edited by bowenbuilt

Also, The blue nut on the powder safety return rod needs to be adjusted to have good spring tension to keep the shell platform up so when you slide a case in you do not hit the primer or the primer cup. The blue nut holds tension on the platform and keeps it pulled up when the handle is at rest in the forward position. Unless you tighten it until the spring binds when priming it should not effect the other stations. After seating a primer it should have enough tension on the spring that you should see the shell platform spring up when the handle comes to rest and the primer cup should clear the platform. I hope this helps.

Edited by bowenbuilt

Going beyond any problems with the 550, I have found that 9x19 cases seem to have worse beat-up case heads than any other cartridge and will often have raised bumps on the rim that keep it from seating square in the shell plate or the head is actually no longer perpendicular to the case axis.

Also, and this is probably not your problem, but just to cover other issues--align the die to the case/shell plate.

Lower the die to just touch the shell plate in the full up position. Lower the ram, insert case, and raise the ram. If needed, help the case into the die and size the case. With the case still in the die, lock the die body down to the tool head. This is the best way to align that I have found.

Every once in a blue moon a piece of brass will hang up like you describe, I usually either back off and jiggle the shell plate then try again or reach my left hand in to line it up then continue. I never actually crush it. Maybe you are a bit too enthusiastic on the handle, or maybe I am too cautious?