Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Comp

KungPfoo

Currently I have a Carver 4 Port Comp but I am getting far more muzzle flip than I want. I'm shooting MG 124 CMJs over 8.8gr 3N38 and getting about 171 PF. I'm using a 15 lb recoil spring. I can get it to shoot flatter but feel like I'm just beating my frame when I get above 175.

I'm considering getting a more effective comp, but I'm running into the problem that my barrel is threaded 1/2 x 28 and not many comps are available with this thread pitch. I feel like my options left are buying a barrel with a different pitch or getting a custom made comp.

I would really like something that will allow me to get down to a 11-13 lb spring without beating up my frame. Any suggestions on where to start on a custom comp?

I'm not sure if I have enough case capacity to run 115s with 3N38, based on a quick search I can't find anyone successfully running it in a 9 Maj, I think it would be pushing 10gr. I might try with Silhouette and it looks like that'll be around 8.5 gr, but that would give me less gas going through the same comp with even more muzzle energy. I might buy some 115s and give it a shot but I think that it could be a move in the wrong direction.

I'm not sure if I have enough case capacity to run 115s with 3N38, based on a quick search I can't find anyone successfully running it in a 9 Maj

I run SP2 which is very similar to 3N38 (VV says use the same data) with 115gr bullets in my CZ Open guns so I have the same length restraints as you and I have pushed a 115 to as much as 181 PF :surprise:

The powder is very fine and I have dropped as much as 10gr in a 9x19 case (my highest velocity actually came from 9.5). What OAL are you loading? mine is 1.160".

Just got back from chronoing some loads. I was using some 115gr Hornady FMJ ammo since I could get it locally for testing. Using 3N38 loaded to 1.180. These are all quite compressed loads and care is required in making them to not spill powder. Unfortunately I ran out of light at the end of the day and only the one round of 9.8 gr actually registered on the chrono.

9.0 gr 163 PF

9.2 gr 166 PF

9.4 gr 168 PF

9.6 gr 171 PF

9.8 gr 176 PF

Unfortunately I didn't get to shoot much side by side with the old ammo. I was mostly trying to make sure I could make major. I noticed some difference in the dot tracking, notably it's diffing low at the end with the same recoil spring, I should probably bump down to the 13# spring and see if I can prevent that. At least I can tell it's shooting flatter. Time for me to load up another 100 and shoot them side by side with my old load and a timer. Thank you for the advice. I still think I'll test a couple of the Glock comps and see if I can get it even better but this is a definite step in the right direction.