Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versamax Synthetic Review

Whoops!

So, I recently bought a Versamax Synthetic on clearance at Dick's Sporting Goods for 930, prior to tax. Remington currently has a rebate for 100 back. So, assuming the rebate goes through, I just purchased a full Versamax with nice stocks, a great recoil pad, 5 chokes, adjustable length of pull, and a 28" trinyted barrel for 830 before tax. I know one can currently get the tactical model for as low as 1060, but I wanted the extra chokes and a longer barrel for its impending X-Rail system.

At the range:

The first thing I noticed was the front fiber optic sight was a little crooked. A couple of whacks with a hammer put it in line with the rib, almost perfectly.

On hand for my first trip was a 100 round pack of Winchester Heavy Lead Load 2 3/4" 7 1/2 shot. It functioned with all 100 perfectly. Recoil was very light for a 12 gauge, realistically, I was getting .2 second follow up shots on a steel silhouette at 12 yards, and I was comfortable doing it. I probably could have and should have sped it up. I didn't throw one load over the steel all day, even on the 6" dueling tree. I felt like I couldn't miss.

Loading is, as you know from the other reviews, less than ideal with a factory setup Versamax. The lifter will bite you if your technique isn't just right. That being said, it is possible to load quads on this with a stock lifter and shell catch. If you try to just throw them in, your shells will probably get stuck on the move in. However, if you press the front shell all the way up into the lifter, it will not get stuck on the shell catch so many people have an issue with. It is possible to do this while loading quads by pressing hard on the shells with your palm as you slide them in.

That being said, your technique has to be damn near perfect to make this work every time, the loading area is really the only piece that needs to be modified to make this thing fully competition ready.

Reading about the trigger on another recent review of a competition tactical, I was floored. My trigger is buttery smooth and breaks at about 5 pounds even. It is one of the best factory triggers I have ever felt on a factory pump/semi-auto shotgun. No exaggeration. It is very nice. I had a 1972 Remington 1100 with extensive trigger work, and it is damn near the same as that piece. Perhaps I just got very lucky with this one.

After going through 100 rounds in short order, this gun was HOT. I'm glad I had the vent rib to act as a sort of heatsink, but even with it I could barely hold on to the gun or disassemble it. That being said, it was 100 degrees outside before I started.

One Issue:

An issue arose in that the trigger group pin would slide out every 15 to 20 rounds. After taking the gun home, I took out the trigger group and found that on this new gun, there was no d spring to hold the pin in place. I called Remington customer service and they had one at my door in 3 days. Problem solved.

Next Range trip:

I really wanted to try the WinLite loads. The 50% power ones with the warning to not use them in a semi auto shotgun. I had a box of 25 WinLite, 25 Xtra-Lite Target Loads, 10 slugs, and 25 buckshot. The gun was 100% reliable. I was really amazed at this one guys.

The WinLite loads barely cycled the action, but they did, completely and fully, cycle the action, every time, for 25 rounds. I have never seen or heard of another factory stock semi-auto shotgun doing this, especially with only 100 rounds to break it in. This was very impressive to me, and as I soon found out, completely worthless for competition. Shooting any steel, the Xtra-Lite target loads are the minimum I would recommend to make sure they go down. The WinLite loads just didn't have enough oomph to them, they were worse than 9mm Federal out of a subcompact Kahr (~115 pf).

Obviously, every other load cycled as well. The slugs were hitting about 3 inches right of my point of aim at 12 yards, pretty disappointing. The buckshot was pretty much right on however....

Do I recommend a Versamax? Yes, absolutely. I chose this over a Benelli because the gas system will work so much better with an X-Rail installed. And luckily, most Benelli M2 aftermarket parts fit on this (bolt handle, bolt release button attachments, lifter, trigger parts)

Right now, it seems like an extremely versatile shotgun. A lot of people complain about its weight... I also wish I could get the Versamax operating system in a lighter shotgun.

4 out of 5 stars, currently the best open division platform for stages with 23 shotgun rounds or less :). I really don't know about this last statement guys, but my research and experience usually serves me pretty well. I may post another review after it has been fully open division outfitted. In order to get 5 out of 5 stars, the system would have to have a better loading gate or detachable magazines (preferred) and weigh about a pound less (the weight really doesn't bother me though, I just need to practice transitioning more with it).

Also, my first question on this. I see all the time about welding the lifter to avoid the thumb bite. Has anyone tried cutting back the fork prongs on the lifter? It will preserve the U for guiding the shells in, and the lifter should give your thumb enough clearance to prevent it from being bit, especially if you open up the loading port with it.

It should have a secondary benefit of lightening the lifter, allowing it to function faster and with less resistance to the bolt.

Oh, also, I initially oiled this gun with Hoppes elite, but didn't clean it between the first and second outing.

Edited by Whoops!