Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

This year the Columbus Cup will be held in Costa Rica on April 22-23-24 .

It will be a Level III 18 Stages 300 + rounds.

If you have not shot an International match, this is a great opportunity to mix it up with a vacation. We have beautiful beaches,challenging white water rafting,great canopy tours, and plenty of outdoor activities you can enjoy.

As far as participants , we already haveUSA(Florida,Texas,California), France , Guatemala, Panama , Ecuador , Colombia , Nicaragua , and Puerto Rico.

Special guests attending Eric Grauffel , Phil Strader , Jojo Vidanes , JJ Racaza , Estuardo Gomez and many more.

Please visit our website at www.copacolumbus2005.com where you can register online and make your hotel reservations, besides you can check interesting links about activities and general info on Costa Rica.

Miguel Yamuni

Match Director

edit: fixed the link

Edited by shred

Great to see the site up and the "official announcement".

I've been asked by many that would like to try an international match and this would be a perfect choice. Airfares are reasonable, there is no hassle bringing your guns or ammo and if you wish to purchase local reloads they have, to date, been of excellent quality and price.

Several individuals brought their wives/girlfriends and entire families last year. All had a great time. The dates in late April give you time to schedule and you couldn't ask for more things to do once the shooting is completed. The Ritz and Four Seasons are now open and you can do the luxurious route, do the local buses as many locals travel (Jaco and Dominical for the surfers and young of heart) or grab a vehicle and explore.

(Enough hype!)

Hope to see many of you there!

Joel

Folks, these Ticos are some of the best people in the world. Their considerations will make the match and your visit the best ever and the air fare is cheap right now. The Tropical Cup in 2003 was so enjoyable I'm taking my family this time. Cuban cigars, good beer, great food and wonderful weather. If an ole Georgia boy can get enamored with the place and people....well you should try it out. Hope to see a very large U.S. contingent.

TP :)

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone has the opportunity to travel to an international match, this is the one to attend. If you shoot it once, you'll continue to visit every year. My wife and I are going again this year, and we can't wait!

The match was incredible when it was the Tropical Cup on the old range. Now they've got a new range, and a new match. I'm sure it's going to be the best international Level III of the year. The RO's (half US) were some of the best I've experienced with only one rare exception. Prepare to be challenged!

The match hotel was also very nice, and located next to THE BEST chinese restaurant I've ever eaten at. Wish I could remember the name. I'll definitely be getting that fried rice in April!

Traveling there with guns was shockingly easy. They were happy to accomodate us, and our bags weren't even checked. I assumed it was a random check, but they knew why we were there. There's no worries about travel arrangements to the hotel, the match, or (more importantly) to the trips. They take care of everything.

Costa Rica makes most of it's money on tourism...and for very good reason. This is one of the most beautiful countries I've ever been to. There are more things to do than anyone could possibly do in a week. Trips are booked right there at the hotel, and only cost b/t $50-$90 per person.

Denielle and I will be staying there a couple of extra days just to experience the sights we missed out on last time.

If you have a couple days of leave saved up, this is a no-brainer. Take your spouse/significant other, pack 11 lbs of ammo each, and make the trip. You won't regret it. If you don't have a great time, I'll refund your money........yeah, right! :P

Hope to see you there

Phil

Us gringos are like all other foreigners to Costa Rica. If you are staying less than 90 days all you need is a valid passport. The migra won't even look at you twice. It really is no hassle, not even having guns.

TP

Joel, is .40S&W ammo available locally? Does it require advance arrangements? Those of us shooting Standard can't bring enough rounds due to airline restrictions.

There are several guys who do "commercial reloads". I gave one my OAL, projectile, powder preference, crimp, etc and he did a fabulous job and price was reasonable.

We can carry through the most rigorous inspection 300 rounds of 180gr .40, some insurance is worthwhile. You can also purchase off the shelf if you'd rather.

Joel

Hi Eric

Checked with the local ammo supplier, and this is what came out.

40 S & W 1.120 OAL Copper Plated 180 Grs. for $21 US per 100 Rounds.

I am sure OAL can be accomodated to your preference.

We will post this info on our website, and you can tell us what your needs are.

Regards

Miguel Yamuni

• 2 weeks later...

Eric

Most merchants will take the dollar. You can exchange dollars for colones at the hotel but don't change more than you want to spend or keep. I recall it's a 16% fee to change colones back to dollars. Stay away from the banks. Travelers checks from the major sources are good. Don't take $100 bills. There is a lot of counterfit U.S. currency in Latin America. Try the links on the Copacolumbus website for Costa Rica tourism. There is a wealth of info there.

TP

Erik,

You can change dollars at the airport, hotel or most any bank.

The currency is called “Colones” and today’s exchange is $1.00 to 465 Colones. Round up to 500 for a buck and conversion is easy.

Also, check your credit cards for “Foreign Currency Transaction Fees”.

See you there?

Joel

Edited by JMD

hello joel, phil & company,

my name is diane & i am the wife of dan globerman (an anonymous IPSC shooter). we live in costa rica & i'd like to make myself available for any questions you may have about traveling & visiting here.

FYI:

the shooting range is about a scenic hour away fom san jose located in a rural part of the country. the range is bordered by two deep river gorges. one of the rivers is accessible by foot via a short but steepish trail. (sturdy walking shoes required)... yesterday dan & i explored the river for the 1st time & it is amazing even for us living here!!! clear pools of cold water, large rocks to sunbathe on, jesus christ lizards (they run on the water), tropical trees clinging onto the canyon sides..... small gorgeous waterfalls that even double as body massagers.....

this is the best way to cool off from the heat of the range.....

if there are any ladies coming along who would like some help to choose day trips while in town or overnites, i'd be glad to help. my first suggestion for a one day trip is "la paz waterfalls", combined with poas nat'l park if you want a really full day.... "zoo ave" animal rehabilitation & breeding zoo is a great easy half day....

zip lines & rafting trips can also be booked easily..... i will be going to monteverde for the weekend (24 & 25 april) in case anyone wants to join.....

FYI: just bring your passport if you're from the usa.. no visa required....

if you wondered about malaria in case you're traveling around, don't. you'll only find it in the guidebook.... i do not recommend bringing traveler's checks as your main source of money as they are difficult to cash & are not readily accepted. credit cards however are used everywhere, but be sure to notify your credit card company that you will be in costa rica..... cash is king & dollars are welcome practically everywhere & easy to change....

we are looking forward to hearing from you & seeing you all here!

best regards,

diane & dan

Diane!

Seeing your post made my day – especially as an anonymous poster for the ever gregarious Dan. (Who is, a national treasure and wonderful friend.)

Those of you still undecided about attending the match (perhaps your first international match) might consider what Diane, a non-shooter has offered.

There is plenty of time to get a passport. Bring your ammo and buy some for insurance. If you beach, swim, surf, fish, hike, climb, raft, natural spring roast, volcano watch or just like local beer – please join us. I’ve said previously this is the BEST place for one’s first international match. (OK, Canada is good and close but too da*n cold.

I sound like a salesman and that isn’t my intent. Ask those who have been and check the cheap airfares to Costa Rica.

Hope to see you there,

Joel

• 1 month later...

Thanks to Jorge and Miguel and their crew for a fun match.

I have approximately 175 pictures up in a Yahoo photo album. I shot on Squad 1 with Arredondo, Gomez, Grauffel, Racaza, Strader, Vidanes, and forum member HeyQuicksdraw (Stewart), among others.

Here's a preview photo of the Open match winner:

post-645-1114543056_thumb.jpg

Eric Grauffel by a good margin, followed by JoJo and JJ in Open. Estuardo Gomez by a mile, followed by Phil Strader and Carlos Colon in Standard. Um, Luis Ortega in Production?

All but Luis were on my squad so I got to see what it takes to win one of these matches.

Many thanks to Miguel and Jorge for putting on a great match.

It was great to meet another board member (Hey Erik) and put a face to the name.

As Erik said, it was a pleasure to see up close how the winners run. Estuardo Gomez is smooth as silk. No wasted movement, fast and fluid.