Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

lead projectile/ moly coated projectiles

jimbullet

I load with moly coated lead bullets and have s similar problem. If I force them in the case guage it will actually shave a bit of moly/lead off the bullet. It appears that the bullets themselves had a bulge or oblong diameter and they stick out past the rim. Once I 'shave' that part of the bullets they work just fine.

Might want to try that.

BTW I load with U die and FCD and I still end up wiith this problem. It is the bullet, not the case in my situation. I can get from 1 to 3 per hundred. Normally all of these would have chambered.

neat trick, I had my gunsmith take a brand new chamber reamer and run it down the guage and the barrel so now both are the same spec,

Mike

I am beginning to suspect that it is my lead projectiles that is causing the issue as well but I cannot absolutely be sure. And as you said, once that small portion is just slightly shaved off, they fit like a charm.

So, how have you shaved off lead? By just pushing them through the gauge? So far that is the only way I have done and can think off, just kept on pushing them through until enough lead has been shaved off that they now plunk in.

It will depend on your barrel. You can chamber check instead of case gauge. The profile of a coated lead bullet, plated bullet, and jacketed bullet will vary, so the COAL will need to be different. I would go down to 1.150" COAL and chamber check the round.