Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

finding a new web site

Hey guys,

help please. I recently forayed off into publishing a web page for our local club using 1and1.com hosting. I used their webcreater package and have a basic website which I can expand on at MPSA.US

My question for all you guru's is, how can I get a search engine to pick up on the site. When I look at the source code on the main page, the meta tags ae USPSA, IPSC, Mobile Pistol Shooters Association, and MPSA among others. Am I correct in my understanding that the meta-tags are where the search engines find thier pages?

If you have any handy pointers for this neophyte, please let me know.

thanks

dj

Each search engine has a "submit a new URL" link someplace off their main page. Hit all the big search engines and put yourself in there. You'll know when they hit your site if you look at the access logs.

Then get all your friends to link to your site from their pages... links-to-pages (among other things) are valued in the search-engine priority scheme of things.

Meta tags are easily hoked up by people wanting hits. Make sure there's visible text that has the same text as your meta tags as well. SL's alt-text ideas are good ones also.