Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Short Benelli stock fix help

dauntedfuture

I'm shooting an M2 with a comfortech stock. I cut 2" off the back to reduce the LOP. I WAS using a slip on small kick-ease pad, but that's not exactly holding in place. I have attempted to glue a plastic cover piece over the back of the cut down stock and then put the slip on pad back over but the recoil keeps knocking the pad loose. So, I have a cut down stock and I need to attach a recoil pad to it. The factory pad will not work as the stock has been cut down and modifying the factory pad is not an option. I have thought about making a 1" wood plug that would fit inside the back of the stock, using screws to attach it to the stock and screwing a recoil pad into the rear of that. I'd like to hear other options of how this can be done. I don't think i'm the first but who knows.

The wood plug is what I did to get my required 12-3/4" length of pull. I fit them to the shape of the stock (roughly) roughed the stock up, drilled a couple of dimples and epoxied (Brownells Acraglas Gel) them in. Since epoxy doesn't stick very well to the polymer plastics, I drilled through from the outside and installed wood screws. Looks ugly, works great. Gunsmith friend saw it and said he'd have used pins. If I do it again I will use the original-style AR-15 firing pin retaining pins, and epoxy them in.

Brownells sells an aluminum plate that is designed to go inside the factory length stock and allow a standard recoil pad to be screwed on. I have used that same part in a cut down Comfortech stock by attaching the plate to the stock retaining nut screw. This requires threading one end of a coupling to match the metric threads on the Benelli part and a flat head screw through the plate into the coupling. A little bit of work but it makes for a slick installation method. I will try to post some pictures later.

Edited by GunCat

This is a Vinci stock so the coupling to the stock bolt is different than the M2 but you'll get the idea. The aluminum plate is pulled into the stock by the long screw, then pulled back toward the recoil pad be the pad screws. The combination holds the plate tightly in place. You may need to grind the length/width of the plate to fit inside the stock tightly (depends upon how much stock length was cut off). Once in place you can attach your choice of grind to fit pads on the stock.

1408568133_zps997c1f17.jpg?t=1408568137

1408570246_zps9f2a41ed.jpg?t=1408570248