Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NRA classification

Flyin40

It takes 144 rounds to get classified. Usually a match is 144 or 192 rounds. It is based on a percentage of the highest possible score. Here's the breakdown:

High Master 99- 100%

Master 96- 98.99%

Expert 90- 95.99%

Sharpshooter 80- 89.99%

Marksman Below 80%

If you fired a score of 1650 out of a possible 1920 your percentage would be 86% which would be a Sharpshooter class score.

There are 3 different classifications: Open, Metallic, and Rimfire.

Hope to see you on the range.

Kevin

It takes 144 rounds to get classified. Usually a match is 144 or 192 rounds. It is based on a percentage of the highest possible score. Here's the breakdown:

High Master 99- 100%

Master 96- 98.99%

Expert 90- 95.99%

Sharpshooter 80- 89.99%

Marksman Below 80%

If you fired a score of 1650 out of a possible 1920 your percentage would be 86% which would be a Sharpshooter class score.

There are 3 different classifications: Open, Metallic, and Rimfire.

Hope to see you on the range.

Kevin

I'm sure this question will show how long it's been since I shot an Action Match, but didn't it used to be 288 rounds(or close to it)? I seem to remember something about 2 matches worth(we shot 144rds/match).

I shot a few High Master scores, but could never "back it up" at the next match.

George,

You're right........it used to be 288. They changed it a couple years back to 144 to make it easier for new shooters to get their first classification card. It still takes 288 to get re-classified to a higher rating after that initial 144.

Alan~^~

Interested in finding how they classify you in Action pistol?? How many matches, percentage, or is it score???

Flyin40

Very poorly :o

The rules provide for "temporary" classification, but I have never seen it used in AP. After your first AP match anywhere, compute your percentage of the possible score. Look in the NRA AP rule book for that score percentage which falls within the class and that is your temporary classification. It is your responsibility to re-compute with additional matches, and keep a record in your NRA temporary classification score book until you receive your NRA classification card.

I think the same temporary classification system exists throughout NRA competitions. This NRA system, if used, would have prevented world class shooters in the past from shooting multiple Bianchis as "unclassified". Why the NRA didn't enforce their own rules at their own National Championships for years is beyond me. Actually, it isn't beyond me. This way they inticed world class crossover shooting atheletes to shoot BC.

MJ

I just looked up my results from 1999. I shot it twice then. Because of work I haven't shot since. Change of schedule now so I'm back to shooting. Actually haven't started but plan to shoot again this yr. At the club I shot at you could only score 1620 and not 1920. I shot a 1445 and that was with a 380 on the plates.

There was the Mover, Barricage, Plates and Los Alamitos. What was missing??? to get to the 1920??

Flyin40

Flyin40

Los Alamitos is not shot at the "Cup," and is only worth 420 points. Practical is and is worth 480 points, Sounds like you were also shooting moving target instead of moving target "Modified," that is only worth 240 points instead of 480. Add it all up and you get a total of 1620.

Each of the "Cup" matches are worth 480 points

They are:

Practical

Barricade

Moving target "Modified"

Falling Plates

Hope this makes sense, and helps

GrantJ B)

Flyin40,

From your description, you would still be considered "unclassified" if the last match you shot was in '99. Which means your have to start all over again.

NRA classifications are active for 5 years in Master and High Master and 3 years for Marksman - Expert for most NRA programs. So, if you are a High Master and don't shoot a single round in a registered match for 5 years, you are "unclassifed."

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I've got a question.

I've shot the Bianchi Cup 3 times with an 1826-?X, 1888-?X, and a 1902-144X (I'll never forget that X count!). Does this mean I'm still a Master? I'm trying to sign up for the 2008 Cup, and I don't know what to put down as my classification.

Thanks

You have to shoot 2 scores in a row that average a 1901 or better to make High Master. Shoot another 1902 or better and you'll be there. You can look up your NRA clasifications on the NRA website. It's kind of hard to find but start under "competitions"

Any word on a Regional? We are trying to make out travel plans. I'm hoping it will be on Sunday.

Kevin

Phil,

You can go to the NRA web site, to the Competitions section and there's a "Shooter Classification Lookup" in that section. Just enter your NRA member number and it will tell you what your classification is for Open and Metallic Sight both, along with any other NRA disciplines in which you may have fired in the past.

Alan~^~

I know this is an old thread, but I've got a question.

I've shot the Bianchi Cup 3 times with an 1826-?X, 1888-?X, and a 1902-144X (I'll never forget that X count!). Does this mean I'm still a Master? I'm trying to sign up for the 2008 Cup, and I don't know what to put down as my classification.

Thanks

Phil,

Go to www.nra.org skip the intro stuff go to competitions, and enter your NRA member number for classification look up. That should be your classification until NRA sends you a different one. Or call Tom Hughes at 703-267-1478

Martin

:cheers:

So on a Tuesday evening there must be crap on the TV in Virginia at say 9.15-9.22pm. :rolleyes:

Yep

Jon,

Do you really have an autographed photo of McHale? One of my all time favorite shows!

GM.. Are you psychic, or do did you notice the posting times? :surprise:

MJ :cheers:

Martin, I was at work trying to get lunch down my neck a little late and I was skimming through some websites and got side tracked by enos (again) before I could reply myself, you lot chimed in, I got a phone call and it all went to poo!. 6 hours later I had finally got home, had dinner, the home brewed "bourbon" from goldfieldshooter was luring me to the back porch, then I remembered this and got back on line. Surprisingly it was also 9.15pm local time and "Yep" there was crap on TV. But the bourbon was real nice, and I got to anoy someone else on line as well. :cheers:

So on a Tuesday evening there must be crap on the TV in Virginia at say 9.15-9.22pm

I guess I had a blonde moment as I thought you were speaking of Martin. It never dawned on me that all three of us posted right after one another. Alan had to explain it to me when I talked to him. It could have been that I was in Tennessee at the time. Maybe I need a little of that bourbon. As most of us know it would take very little.

If you look around at the postings on a topic you see heaps of them all around the same time giving pretty much the same answer. It is quite humorus how many people also give pretty much the same answer.

It would more humorous if people gave different answers to such questions :surprise:

MJ

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. I performed a classification lookup, but I wasn't sure how often the NRA updated those. Master is just fine with me!

I'm trying to put together a Regional the weekend before the Cup. When I see turning, falling, running, and working target systems, I'll start building the barricades and shooting boxes...then I'll make the call.

Hopefully, I'll have some definite info soon.

Phil