Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady steel match 75 grain issues

urikagold

I used to shoot this ammo a lot until it got scarce. I recently purchased 500 rounds from Cabelas and was super excited to get to the range. I was extremely disappointed when 6 out of the first 18 rounds keyholed. Has anyone else had any issues with this ammo? If anyone has a contact at Hornaday that I can send some info to please let me know. Maybe, hopefully I just got a bad batch.

I've only shot about 25 rounds of the "new batch" and didn't seem to notice any difference. I also shot it quite a bit before it disappeared and was glad to find it again a few months ago. But it's only 25 rounds, and this was through my old limited rifle which was a standard 16" 1/9 twist (have a new rifle and not shooting steel cases in my new one). I have heard reports of bad batches with bad/hard primers even with the older stuff.

While possible, its highly unlikely that its bad ammo. You say that you have shot Hornady steel match out of this gun before; it was the 75g stuff and not the 55g steel match correct. What barrel do you have? I would check that your barrel is actually a 1-8 twist; you can measure this with a cleaning rod. Check your compensator if you have one to make sure that there are no copper marks on it. I cant think of much else provided your bullets were not going through some tall grass on the way down range and that's unlikely to effect much.

The only steel match that I have shot out of this gun was the 75 grain stuff. Never the 55. The barrel is a Rainier Match grade 18" 1/8 223 wylde chamber. The barrel is awesome. Shoots sub MOA with good ammo all day. I thought it might be the comp so I removed it and shot a couple more. Same result. I even shot rounds out of two different boxes. Shot some Federal 223 55 gr, PMC X-Tac 55 gr, and some Black Hills 77 grain. All shot great. I am at a loss. The only thing it could be is the ammo. I am going to contact Hornady and give them the lot numbers off the boxes. Hopefully they make it right. Otherwise I am out $300 in ammo. :(

The only steel match that I have shot out of this gun was the 75 grain stuff. Never the 55. The barrel is a Rainier Match grade 18" 1/8 223 wylde chamber. The barrel is awesome. Shoots sub MOA with good ammo all day. I thought it might be the comp so I removed it and shot a couple more. Same result. I even shot rounds out of two different boxes. Shot some Federal 223 55 gr, PMC X-Tac 55 gr, and some Black Hills 77 grain. All shot great. I am at a loss. The only thing it could be is the ammo. I am going to contact Hornady and give them the lot numbers off the boxes. Hopefully they make it right. Otherwise I am out $300 in ammo. :(

Give Hornady all the details and be as pleasant as you can. I have no doubt they will make you happy