Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WWBD

jimbob_texas

Maybe I'm a little thick tonite, but what does how much money BW makes from IDPA have to do with the rulebook? Seems silly to argue about it. The way I see it, I hope he makes a bazillion dollars a year so he doesn't decide to close up shop entirely. After all, who among us would take this much crap for any amount of money, even if, in some peoples opinion, he brought it upon himself, which I believe to a limited extent, but not enough to incessantly spew insults at him.

We are not members of a club that deserve or can demand to know the profit/loss profile. We are customers, who can either pay the price, or take our business elsewhere.

Ok, Duane and Others, all this talk about “Real World” here’s the Big Question I have:

How many of you out there carry a gun everyday?  In the real world?

Brian  :D

I do! Usually two.

We are not members of a club that deserve or can demand to know the profit/loss profile. We are customers, who can either pay the price, or take our business elsewhere.

Hear! Hear!

How many "for profit" businesses (as IDPA is) have you demanded this information from? I suspect, unless you're a hermit or complete IDIOT, you visit many "for profit" businesses each day, or at least each week. How many of them do you demand this information from, or you tell them you'll no longer do business with them?

Have you ever told Sears (or any "for profit" organization) you'll NEVER buy their product again because they don't tell you their profits or give you a breakdown of their budgets??

Who in the hell do some of you think you are to demand this information? From Bill Wilson, IDPA, or any other organization which operates a business for profit? Whether they proclaim they are operating for profit or not?

DT, I could just as easily ask you how much money you make each year, consider your expenses, and then expound on why I don't understand why you can't buy that new handgun, shoot as much as you want, or attend as many state & national matches as I think you should.

Most of you need to get a life. This means engaging in something you are able to manage and does not allow you priviledge to information you have NO RIGHT TO! If you do not want to participate in IDPA because you do not have the profit/loss statement or annual budget statement, find any organization which will provide you with that information and join, participate, and tell us all how much you enjoy it. I look forward to your reports here.

Johnny Van Etta

DT,

I haven't seen this question asked and I hope it will be taken seriously. I have seen and heard the accusations about profit and the motives that go along with it. However, I have never seen a quantifiable response that would suggest otherwise. The only response even from BW himself is that there is no profit motive.

Can anyone give us an approximate breakdown of the budget for IDPA?

I have emailed HQ with this question and received no answer. With 12,000 members at $35/yr IDPA starts with an annual budget of $420,000. That does not take into account yearly club affiliation dues, nor corporate sponsor dues, which I would assume adds a significant amount to budget. I cannot imagine that in an organization based largely on volunteer effort that there is not a profit to be made. The easiest way to quell these rumors would be to simply give an accounting of the budget, yet BW will not do so. I agree that since it is his privately held business he is under no obligation to publish this info, but if those who keep telling us that he is not making money want to quash the accusations, it should be a no brainer to step up and open the books.

Ok, Duane and Others, all this talk about “Real World” here’s the Big Question I have:

How many of you out there carry a gun everyday? In the real world?

I do. And it's always been the same gun, holster and mag pouch that I use in IDPA.

If we really want to get particular about this issue we can use the facts:

Most "gun fights"(term used very loosely)

- occur within seven yards or less

- happen during low light conditions

- are generally limited to a one on one confrontation

- require less than six rounds per shooter

- involve at least one guy with a gun (even if it is just the one you brought)

That being said we should eliminate most of what we know as IDPA matches and use BUG guns since that is what most people have and since they are small and used in moments of despiration only.

All matches should be shot under low light conditions; with two targets max.; targets should be under 21' away; and everyone should use an IWB holster with a five shot, 2" barrel revolver; while wearing a T-shirt or sweatshirt no shorter than 2" below the belt loops.

What? Did I say something funny? :( Now go have fun! :)