Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MaXam CSB5 Powder?

1SOW

Has anyone had experience loading CSB5 (shotgun powder made in Spain) out of straight wall pistol loads.

Load data looks promising.

Maxam%20CSB-5%20Load%20Data.JPG

Edited by 1SOW

I wish I knew what gun, OAL and bullet this data came out of. I am guessing that this is FMJ shot through a 5 in 1911 with a 1.20 OAL.

What do you think of this as a starting load and a work up:

SNS 230gn Round Nose with no lube groove, Loaded to 1.225 OAL (could go longer with this bullet gun combo), Winchester LPP, R-P pick up brass. I will be shooting out of a SAR K2 45 (4.7 in barrel).

I will start at 4.2gns and work up in .2gn increments to indications of bad pressure or 5.2gns. I only need 761 fps for 175 PF. If I get over 800 I will probably stop there too. Given the lack of history with this powder, I will probably take my laptop to the range and graph the velocity vs charge data.

That's a conservative starting load, so you should be fine. Going up .2 grs at a time is also what I'd do with the wide load range given.

Sure would have been nice if it showed pressures, which means it MAY HAVE come out of an actual pistol instead of a test bbl with pressure readings...

Edited by 1SOW

• 1 month later...

http://americanreloading.com/en/32-smokeless-pistol-gunpowder

And another site I haven't visited has been mentioned. The guy there, allowed me buy 4 lbs instead of the 8 lb minimum order shown on the site.

Smitty has done some tests and I followed him.

The powder granules are very small light colored discs, two laying flat will just fall into a 9mm flash hole. They are also extremely light weight so getting n320/7625 powder drop consistency didn't happen with my Lee Disk system.

After that, 4.2, 4.3 grs fills the case to slightly below or just touching the base of a 124/125 HP/FP bullet seated a little deep and gets 133-ishPF. The above powder data is scanty and shows a wide load spread, but small changes made noticeable differences over my chrono. I saw no smoke, and it's moderately clean. Haven't tried heavier bullets

I need to shoot it more before I'm sold on this powder. Don't get me wrong, it will run for 124/125 minor PF; but IMO it's not God's gift to 9mm reloaders. .

P.S. I just revisited this site, and they have renamed and relabeled the powder jugs to "Commercial #5".

A powder distributor friend had told me it's not legal for these guys to relable and sell the MaxaM powder not approved for import. I don't know anything about this aspect---just saying. He also told me it IS legal to buy it. :yawn:

Edited by 1SOW

Well, there IS the old way to work up without load data. I'm not encouraging that; but if you do, I'd treat CSB-5 like a "hot Powder" in a very careful load work-up. I also would carefully use a chrono and look for "any" signs of overpressure in the cases. If the load increases show any abnormal or non-linear speed increases with small increases of powder---I'd call it a day.

But that's just me.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a lot of this. Have only loaded for .45 so far. But it has met and surpassed expectations. Hi Tech reloading was the last place I saw any. I don't know if they still have some though. I want to load this for 9mm as well.

I've shot a few hundred more rounds loading 4.25 avg. grs under 124 MG/Zero/PD JHPs and they've all shot and feel well.

If VV n320 doesn't become available soon, I'll be buying more of the MaXam CSB-5 as an available alternative.

Steve, The "MaXam" "CSB" powders range from #10 = slowest (a guy in Spain says it's close to the same burn rate/speed as Unique), # 8, #6, and #5 that is the fastest of these--closest to vv n320., The MaXam chart shows some more below these that is said to also be slower. These are all designed as shotgun powders. There is another Spanish shotgun powder--can't remember the name offhand-- that tends to be slower yet. It's available here at one or maybe more sites. RIO shotgun shells use these powders.

It's drawn screwy to me.

Look at the "ARROW" pointing up.

The bottom of the arrow says FAST. As you go up the arrow, the powders get slower.

I corresponded with a reloader in Spain. He confirmed this. The powders that are made by the main company are about all they can get in Spain. He shoots a CZ Shadow 9mm for IPSC using a slower powder.he says is comparable to Unique.

Edited by 1SOW