Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm OAL Variations

galt11

I am having an issue with bullets either falling into the cases and/or very random seating depths. I have tried all I can think of, but am hoping I am missing something simple. So I am hoping there is someone out there who may have run into this issue and found a solution.

First, the info on what equipment I am using:

• Dillon 650
  • EGW u die, Dillon powder measure, Hornady micrometer seating die, Lee factory crimp die
  • Zero 9mm 147 JHP bullets
  • random range brass -> as this is what I will be using to shoot matches and practice with.

This is the second toolhead setup I have run into this issue with. The first is identical except for a Dillon seating die. I called Dillon and they suggested to INCREASE the bell. To me this sounds counter-intuitive, increasing the bell should allow the bullet to fall farther into the case before it hits a spot tight enough to hold the bullet.

I measured the ID of the sized cases and they are right at .355. The U die is setup per the included directions, which say got all the way down till it touches the shellplate. The bullets were measured at random and come in right at .355.

The bell I set originally didn't seem too excessive. It just starts to open the top hair of the case mouth a bit.

This is really driving me crazy. Please let me know what you suggest. I can post pics or take measurements as needed. Thanks

Adam

I just measured some cases sized in my 9mm Udie and none were even close to .355. Most were around .350. I can't say exactly what the dimension is because all my cases were run through a 1050 with the swage/expander in place which expands the top portion of the case, but even so, the largest dimension near the case mouth was .352. So sounds like there is something wrong with your sizing step.

Measure your powder funnel. If its not the correct one it will change the size of your case. Size a case in your first step and measure. Go to the next step (powder drop ) and measure again. If it opens up the case bigger the powder funnel is wrong.

Also loading on a 650 using Lee dies. Went back to a standard Lee sizing die be sure it just touches the shell plate after setting all the other dies.

Have used a strip of paper as a go no go gauge to tight and you'll break the carbide insert.

Using a Lee seating die and I had a flat insert made in a local machine shop so the seating plug pushes on the nose of the bullet.

Using the same bullet you can send Lee a bullet and for a few bucks they will cut an insert for that bullet.

I'll polish the powder through die till it slips in and out with little drag on a piece of sized brass. I use a drill press and fine sandpaper

then polish with Simichrome polish. If I use the Lee crimp die I back it off to just crimp at present have a Dillon crimp die in the last station.

May need to lock the sizing die from the bottom not enough threads on the top. I replaced Lee's nuts with a set of 1 inch Dillon nuts.

Don't care what the box says always lube cases. Spend some time inspecting brass. A plastic tray or cardboard box with three factory plastic plastic

trays. Place two in the box and pour a hand full of brass into the trays, most will land rim down. Look into the case for trash, chigger bites, splits

or any other reason to thrash the brass. Turn the tray so you you see the side .380 or Super 38 brass can be spotted quickly and removed with a pencile.

Use the third tray like a primer flip tray and check the base for Military cases or swagged cases and trash. Military cases have a smaller case volume and swagged cases will jam when priming. Removing odd cases makes the machine run smoother.

My machine will hold .003 using these tips. Shell plate should be just tight enough to turn free.

I am a fan of the U die use it in 40 S@W but the standard Lee die seems to work better in 9mm minor. Not a fan of the Lee FCD as I feel it hurts accuracy.