Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.160 vs .180 for Sti Edge

Sandbagger123

It seems that the reccomended height for STI edge front sight is .180, which is what i have on mine now. the thing i don't like is that the rear sight needs to be moved up to get the POA i like. I measured the gap between the slide and the bottom of my rear sight and it measured .025. I am thinking of going to a .160 or .170 so the rear can fit flat on the slide

Anyone use a .160 for their FS?

Yes, I have a .160X090 DP fiber optic front sight on my Millennium Custom

Sight Tracker (Derek calls it an Accu-Track) Limited Pistol (STI). Mine

still has a few thousands of space. I'm not sure you'd want the bottom of

the rear sight to touch the slide.

My first STI came with a .180"T front sight. I had to crank the rear sight up quite a bit. I now use a .160"T front sight on just about all my 1911/2011 comp guns. It amounts to about 10 clicks up on the rear sight to adjust for elevation.

Cool. FS are not cheap. Gotta order a .160 next time i order something from Dawson

One thing to be careful of, the hole for the elevation screw on the rear bomar-style sights extends all the way thru to the firing pin tunnel. If you screw your rear sight down too far (less than 10 clicks) the screw can jam up the firing pin. At best it causes light strikes, at worst it can jam the firing pin in the forward position and cause slam fires. This happend on one of my guns and my GS trimmed the elevation screw as a result. We also did that mod to my latest gun as a just in case.