Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mag. catch conversion

treefarmer

Canyon Creek makes one its a nice product may still need fitting

Or just notch the STI mags back a little toward the middle of the mag on the side

the para catch is a little rear, toward the center of the grip on the side, than the STI mag catch is

P.S.

YES I use STI mags in my Para 16-40

Take your time filing the catch. My frame is a early one . It required cutting about .005 off each side of the frame in between the slide rails to allow the mags to go high enough without binding. Not sure if they all require that but it might be worth checking. Good luck.

The catch lifts the mag a little higher up also. I have been running them a couple years now with no issues. fwiw I also have a Caspian 40 running sti mags. use the same mags in 3 different guns.

How did you get STI mags to even fit in the Caspian frame? Please post or email details and photos. Thanks

I am sorry to say I no longer have the pics I took during the build. They were on my phone that crashed and I learned a valuable lesson about backing up data. I had heard it could be done but never saw one, did all the work myself using a milling machine, die grinder and tig welder. I doubt it would be worth the cost of paying someone to do it. I will try to get some more photos and post them in a couple days.

The catch lifts the mag a little higher up also. I have been running them a couple years now with no issues. fwiw I also have a Caspian 40 running sti mags. use the same mags in 3 different guns.

Which other guns will your sti mags. work in? Did you have to fit them all?

All my sti mags are unmodified except for followers and base pads. I am not sure about SVI mags interchanging. I don't have any experience with them. For the para I took a guncraft mag release and tig welded the shelf the mag seats on and fit it to the gun and mags. The Caspian uses their mag release with minor fitting and a lot of mods to the grip which I did because I sometimes enjoy a challenge. Probably won't do it again as it is a lot of work.

When I did mine I removed the top end and disassembled the mag. I clamped a small flashlight in my vise pointing up and held the frame over the light while sliding the empty mag tube into the gun. Looking from the top I could see exactly where there was interference and where I needed to grind or file the catch.