Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Colt XSE vs Ruger NSF

mpeltier

So I got bit by the 1911 bug again as I want to get back to shooting single stack. After having owned 10 1911's in my past, My Colts were the ones I missed the most. Ive also owned Kimbers, Springfields and Paras. 6 months ago I got to examine a Ruger Navy SEAL foundation edition by Talo and was really taken by that gun but passed it up at my LGS. After doing my homework I decided I had to have the Colt 5" XSE and called my LGS to order it. When I went to pay for the order he had a Ruger SR1911 in stainless sitting their and I asked to look at it while he was doing the paperwork. It was nice but not what I wanted and remarked its too bad he did not still have the Navy SEAL foundation model. He sais its right here and handed it to me off the shelf. I compared it side by side to the stainless model and it immediately dispelled the internet rumors that its nothing more than a stainless model with A different finish and grips. At least in this case. The NSF pistol appeared to have a considerable amount of care in its fit and assembly than the SS model. I bought it on the spot and picked up the Colt today and decided to do a little comparison.

The Colt was no surprise and is everything I expected for a production model in this price range ($1049.00). The slide, barrel, frame fit is tighter than I expected and it showed in the groups it shot. The grip safety was timed right and it is fit up right, which is how it should be for a company who has been making them for 103 years. My only complaint is the back edge of the thumb safety was not beveled enough and I could feel it a little. If I was to really nit pick the long edges of the slide could have been a tiny bit softer. Their not razor sharp but not as smooth as the front or back of the slide. It has the series 80 parts and I could not tell they were there. My trigger scale and my finger felt it has a crisp pull just over 4 1/2 pounds. I only had time to put 50 rounds thru each, but neither pistol had a malfunction. Not one. That really surprised me. And I was using the supplied mags with both guns. The colt shot slighty smaller groups, the bottom group in the photo, and it measured 1.25"x.75 " at 30 feet offhand. It is also sprung slightly better than the Ruger, as it was a little softer shooting. You can feel that the Ruger has a very stout recoil spring when working the slides side by side.

The Ruger was a huge surprise, in a good way. First is its beautifully finished and the grips are nicer in person than the photos show. It is priced lower than the Quality of the pistol exhibits at $999.00. The machining and fitment and timing of everything is equal to the Colt except the slide is just a touch looser. (The slide is very nicely dehorned all the way around. Actually the whole pistol is smooth and even the thumb safety is nicely radiused where the Colt was not.) It is by no means a rattle trap, its still pretty tight and done right. The Colt was just tighter. When I racked the slide for the first time I almost had a heart attack, as it was so gritty it was like pushing a shopping cart down a gravel road. I immediately removed the slide and found the cause. Before sending it out to IonBond for finishing, they electro pencil the underside of the slide with the serial number and Im guessing the gunsmith building its initials. It leaves a slightly bumpy surface that was riding on the tip of the disconnector. It took me about 2 minutes with a stone to polish that up and its actually smoother than the colt when you rack the slide. This was the only issue of any kind experienced with the Ruger NSF pistol. Who ever specked this gun to Ruger shares my taste in 1911's. It is also a series 70 type with Titanium firing pin, and it has an extended mag catch, the Colts was standard length. A single sided safety and GI type guide rod finish it up. The trigger was actually a whisker lighter right at 4 1/2 pounds. Only discernible by a trigger scale. I could not tell them apart dry firing or shooting. The top group in the photo measures 1.5"x1" offhand from 30 feet.

Both guns are keepers and I would recommend either. I really like the Ruger NSF version and If Ruger would offer a similar finished model it would appeal to those (like me) who don't like the billboard on the slide effect. With the exception of the Ruger logo on one side and the NSF Logo on the opposite identical position there are hardly any obvious markings. Even the owners manual warning script is so faint you can hardly see it.

post-6767-0-94909100-1406929882_thumb.jp

post-6767-0-15775400-1406929907_thumb.jp

• 4 months later...

I like the looks of that XSE and I'm glad to hear you're happy with the fit. I have never owned a Colt but I have heard from others that their quality was slipping; if you got a good slide to frame, barrel, grip safety, and bushing fit out of a production pistol, that is really good. While not ideal to have to do it, the series 80 parts can be removed and I would do so. I guess all they need are grips, magwells, maybe a front sight, and to be re-sprung and you'll be ready to tear up single stack!