Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fitting a .40 s&w into a 9mm slide

So...

I'm looking to build a USPSA Limited gun, and I've found a pretty good deal on a used STI Tactical 5.0. Only problem is that it's a 9mm barrel. I'd like to convert this gun into a .40 s&w using the same upper. I would definitely use the services of a reputable gunsmith. Is this conversion a set and forget/definitely doable, possible w/ some future issues, or a totally don't even think about it scenario?

It is theoretically possible to get a single slide to work with both 9mm and .40, but the breech face is cut for 40 size, not 9mm. So you can't start with a 9mm slide and install a 40 barrel. You can start with a .40 slide and install a 9mm CONVERSION barrel in some cases, but it requires a pivoting extractor that can move far enough to hold the smaller 9mm case against the edge of the wider .40 breech face cut. In the case of 1911/2011 using the traditional extractor, I don't think it would extract 9mm properly.

Note: I think some of the dual caliber 2011's have replaceable breech faces so the slide can be used for two calibers. I assume it would need a different extractor for each?

Edited by bountyhunter

It seems like this guy has a competition gun that can run both 9mm and .40s&w barrels in the same slide.

Should/could this not be done?

This guns slide has had the breech face milled open to .40 size. It is using a 9mm conversion barrel, the outside dimensions fit the slide but it is bored for 9mm. I don't know who sells these (?)It also has a different extractor for each caliber. IMHO, the standard 1911 type extractor would not have enough range of travel to securely extract the narrower 9mm case. Guess how I learned that.

Edited by bountyhunter