Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 83 .380 thoughts?

ny700

So I stopped in at a local shop and they had what looked to be an unfired CZ83 in 9browning (.380 acp) there on consignment for $400. What are your thoughts on the 83. I had been looking at a p01 or a rami for possible CCW guns or going back to a kahr cw9 or M&P shield.

Anyone have one. How's the accuracy? And considering it appears to be unfired what do you all think of the $400 price tag for it? Would a used cz82 in 9 makarov be a better buy?

I own several vz.82 in 9x18 makarov. They are nearly identical to the 83. I will refrain from the "what caliber is OK for CCW" discussion, but here are my thoughts on the model you are interested in: Generally speaking, they are accurate and reliable. As a blowback design, their recoil is snappy but not unpleasant. Stock triggers are quite acceptable for a carry pistol.

Pros: ambi safety, ambi mag release, can be carried condition 1 or hammer down DA pull, significant magazine capacity, accurate, easy to field strip

Cons: not the thinnest of CCW pistols, steel frame= more weight than polymer or alloy alternatives, difficult to detail strip, not a lot of smiths are familiar with the 82/83

$400 seems to be reasonable for a clean, new production 83 with angled trigger guard. If it is an old model with round trigger guard, it is probably a surplus firearm and therefore worth a bit less. Check gun broker.

You can find surplus 82s for $250 delivered, and these can be excellent pistols, but their history, condition is sometimes an unknown. Of the four I've owned, one was a lemon, and was returned to the seller. 2 were perfect, 1 needed a little maintenance. Also, 9x18 makarov is not on the shelf of every (i.e. any) walmart where you are more likely to find .380 in stock. Not a huge deal, but something to consider.

The CZ forum will likely have more info on this model.