Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fail to feed nose diving on sti range master

DaveFromAus

Hey guys,

One of the guys I shoot with is having a few feed problems with his sti.

He's using a 9mm 100gr semi wadcutter with 2.8gr of trail boss powder and has a oal of 1.055.

Was over today and have changed the oal to 1.095 to see if it makes any difference.

Along with this he has some mags that are 9mm and some that are for a 38 he was told they would work fine. Most failures are with the 38 mags but it's happened to the 9mm the last few weeks to see if it was the 38 mags.

These are just light loads but accuracy is good just the feed problem. I'm not an sti man so not sure but said I'd ask on here. One thing I noticed was with the 38 magazines when you load 10 and just push the first round forward the next few move forward underneath but the 9mm mag is fine and the springs are stronger in the 9mm mags. It's normaly diving on the 2nd round, he can shoot 6mags and it does it at least once out of the 6 the rest feed fine.

Any help appreciated

Dave

Nosedive itself is 'normal' in single column magazines, and it's worse with 9mm because of the cartridge's taper.

The easiest remedy is to try round nose bullets as they are less likely to jam during nosedive, and select 'hard' bullets like cast or FMJ. 'Soft' bullets like swaged or copper plated bullets don't bounce off surfaces as readily.

Another work-around is to select brass that has less taper. The greater the taper, the greater potential nosedive. Separating brass by headstamp might work, but he should be aware that taper can vary even with the same headstamp.

Which 9mm mags is he using? My experience with the Wilson Combat mag suggests that it has less nosedive because the rounds are positioned forward, compared with 38 Super mags where the rounds are to the rear.

I had the same problem with my sentry. Check to see if the mag is tight when seated, if you can push the mag up slightly when seated you may benefit from the EGW high mag catch.

You can test this by seating a full may and then put the gun down on the counter so it pushes up the mag, and then rack the slide to see if it feeds. if it does the EGW will help

I put the EGW in mine and it feeds everything.