Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to stop 223 cases from wobbling during index?

When I process 223 cases I get a lot of wobble when it indexes making the Lee Decapping Die occasionally miss the mouth of the case and destroying the decapping pin and piece of brass.

Anyone have a fix for this? I have already tried a low density index ball and bearing on the shell plate. Nothing working as of yet.

ams30gts

I am assuming a Dillion 550/650?

Possibly look at tightening your shell plate. Be careful to allow it to move (index), but maybe it is too easy to move? Good luck

ams30gts

I am assuming a Dillion 550/650?

Possibly look at tightening your shell plate. Be careful to allow it to move (index), but maybe it is too easy to move? Good luck

sorry, it's a 1050. I played with the tension on the shell plate and I got it near the tightest it can go and still freely index.

Anyone have a fix for this? I have already tried a low density index ball and bearing on the shell plate. Nothing working as of yet.

Are you running faster than this?

If not what shell plate are you using and how stable is your bench?

Edited by jmorris

Definitely not faster than that lol. That's light speed. My bench is very sturdy. DIY with a bunch of 2x4 and its also bolted to the wall.

I have a Dillon #3 shell plate as well as a GS Custom.

Definitely not faster than that lol. That's light speed. My bench is very sturdy. DIY with a bunch of 2x4 and its also bolted to the wall.

I have a Dillon #3 shell plate as well as a GS Custom.

If you're talking the A2 Tool Steel shellplate from GS Tools on Ebay, contact them. They cut a bunch of .223 shell plates with the .40 S&W rim thickness.

I just found that out today, as I'm having more wobble with the GS Tool shellplate than the Dillon.