Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has using a Glock changed the way you press the trigger?

fwrun

Honest question...

Why carry something you hate shooting?

I've never had to shoot my carry gun on the street. Given that I carry it every day, and never shoot it, it stands to reason that carrying it is the primary consideration and shooting it second.

In a perfect world, I wouldn't carry a gun that I hate shooting, but back in this one, carrying a gun that has the features I want in a carry gun and light weight > having my favorite gun in my hand for self defense, should that situation present itself.

Honest question...

Why carry something you hate shooting?

I've never had to shoot my carry gun on the street. Given that I carry it every day, and never shoot it, it stands to reason that carrying it is the primary consideration and shooting it second.

In a perfect world, I wouldn't carry a gun that I hate shooting, but back in this one, carrying a gun that has the features I want in a carry gun and light weight > having my favorite gun in my hand for self defense, should that situation present itself.

That's probably the most well-put explanation for a question I've always asked too. I've found myself battling with that this summer- just can't take the heat like I used to, and the J-frame has been seeing more days on the belt than my G19, my favorite to shoot.

I don't like the recoil spring assembly, I prefer the gen 3 size, and don't like the new trigger bar/housing assembly.

I understand the rsa. I don't understand the trigger bar and housing. My trigger bar on my gen 3 looks almost identical to my gen 4 except for the dimple. I thought they were interchangeable (I think i have swapped them, actually)

The housing is smaller to fit in the grip, but other than that, are there other things that make you dislike (other than double the number of spare parts to keep around)?

I don't like the recoil spring assembly, I prefer the gen 3 size, and don't like the new trigger bar/housing assembly.

I understand the rsa. I don't understand the trigger bar and housing. My trigger bar on my gen 3 looks almost identical to my gen 4 except for the dimple. I thought they were interchangeable (I think i have swapped them, actually)

The housing is smaller to fit in the grip, but other than that, are there other things that make you dislike (other than double the number of spare parts to keep around)?

I have found that the dimple translates to uptake that feels "scrape-y" to me. Basically, I can feel (even a worn in Gen 4 with a professional polish job) the gen 4 trigger bar scraping the side of the frame on the uptake. It feels grittier, even with a $200+ trigger job.

They ARE interchangeable, but it seems most people that are swapping them are putting the 3's into the 4 trigger housing. The slight shift in geometry that you get with the gen 4 housing also changes the angle the trigger bar contacts the connector, resulting in a heavier trigger press. This is why the "dot" connector exists (it is a halfway between a "minus" and standard connector, so the gen 4 pistols have a similar trigger weight to the gen 3).

Despite my best efforts, I simply cannot achieve as good a trigger on a gen 4 as I can with a gen 3... and that is the biggest reason of all. I am a fiend for good triggers in all my firearms.

• 3 weeks later...