Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N320 load data needed for 45ACP......

G17fan

Happy Independence day everyone!

I am trying to find the load data on line for a 45ACP load.... Here is what I am using

200gr LRN

N320

LPP

OAL - 1.245 to 1.252

The Lapua data is for a 6 inch barrel.

My gun is a Springfield Armory 1911 loaded model with a 5 inch barrel.

thanks!

Here's some data for some 200 LSWC loads run through my Springfield RO.

Not ideal since these loads didn't get fast enough for our game. I was testing some 230s at the same time and decided to just keep going with the 230 LRNs. But what you're looking for is likely just north of 5.1gr

N320

COAL 1.240

Federal LPP

4.9 gr 157 PF

5.0 gr 161 PF

5.1 gr 165 PF

Lyman doesn't have data for a 200g LRN, but for their 200g LSWC #452630 @ 1.235 they list for N320:

Start: 5.1 Velocity: 746 CUP: 10,000

Max: 5.5 Velocity: 865 CUP: 17,000

If your barrel likes it, I would start with an OAL of 1.250 and go from there on the LRN.

They don't have a listing with N320 and their 225g LRN.

FWIW: I've read on several forums that Bill Wilson's "pet" 45acp load is a 200g SWC in front of N310 or Bullseye.....

Thanks Repete. I shoot a 5 inch barrel. This data is for a 6 inch.

It does not matter.

You can shoot the same load in a 5 or 6 inch barrel. And each gun is different.

To find out how fast your particular gun is with a given load, you'll have to chronograph the loads in your gun.

I totally understand. What I should have stated was I loaded 5.2gr and my PF was 150.....

The difference between the 5 and 6 inch in FPS is noticeable in the PF. I've since loaded up some 5.4gr and will chrono sat after our match.

G17fan:

IMO, if your loading 5.1gr of N320 @ 1.245-1.252 with "any" properly sized (.452) 200gr lead bullet, you should be pushing 900fps out of the 5" barrel!

Realize your after a 170PF, but I'm wondering how accurate your chrono data is? Also, do you feel confident that your actually throwing 5.1gr? Have you checked the sizing of your 200gr LRN?

Not doubting your abilities; but something just doesn't add up.......

Edited by HOGRIDER

IMO, based on verifying your powder drop, bullet weight, and bullet diameter, I would be looking for another chrono to test with.

Can't think of anything else left in the equation.....

Good luck!

peter:

Believe you hit the nail on the head! I had not noticed it was an hb bullet! Good eyes! ;)

G17, find you some different/solid base 200gr lead and try again! Start with 4.5 - 4.6gr @ 1.250 and go from there.