Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Taccom Split Deuling Deuces....or whatever Tim is gonna call them&

Tim sent me some of these and I got them in yesterday afternoon at work. We had discussed the changes that these have incorporated in them back when Tim was set to release the original Deuling Deuces. Since we closed on our house Wednesday morning, these kinda fell to the back burner until today when we got to a friends house to stay the weekend to attend a match, set up a Dillon 550, and let the kids play.

I finally got them out while chicken was on the grill and decided to get a little practice in before running them in a match tomorrow. With everything attached to my chest rig and one for my belt on a TekLok, I got a good 20 minutes of practice in. Within about 5-10 minutes I could tell that the design prefers a simple grab and angled pull instead of how I typically rolled my quads out rims first, effectively eliminating a process/movement in my load. Within 10 minutes, I was easily under 4 seconds. With 20 minutes of practice, I asked my buddy to video a run to send to Tim to let him know I liked the caddies. The video is below and I plan to do a new video, maybe with some match video mixed in, once I have a chance to really get some time with these bad boys....and from my new gun room no less! :-)

Here is what I'll say about these caddies, and the others that I have on hand right now that I use, in case you are looking at various options when it comes to what you could buy.

Dualoads: I've had these and passed them on to other shooters who needed something to start loading with. Great, inexpensive, but less attractive option for someone who isn't looking to compete at a high level, but go out and have fun. Dual load/load-2 only, is reliable and simpler for most beginners, even with minimal modification to the shotgun. Low price point is the main attraction.....a Chevy Aveo isn't up for a beauty contest or drag racing title after all.

Original Quaload: Simple, effective, fast, and what I learned Quad Loads with. They aren't overly expensive and with the newer clip design, there is little chance for a shotgun shell yard sale. Pull from the caddies is directly perpendicular from the caddy, and fastest/best method I found was when the shells are rolled out of the caddies top first. I've been able to push 3 sec reloads in practice and have been under 4 sec in match conditions IN THE RAIN at the US Amateur match in 2013 with these caddies. These are a solid option for chest rigs where you have room for 5 Qualoads for 20rds, and a good option at belt level with a backer plate you can attach.

8-up Quaload: Simpler design to get 8 shells in two sets of quad loads. A little more expensive than the Deuling Deuces, but more of a one piece design than the original Quaload. These have been a staple on my belt for awhile now, and belt level is where I prefer them due to the wide footprint and my preferred curved nature of my chest rig. Shell retention is excellent while the pull still does not require excessive force. Angle of pull is perpendicular to the caddy, and works best for me with a top-out approach.

Deuling Deuces: I got to see the design before Tim put these out and we discussed why the shape was needed and how the idea of how the caddy would work would be different from everything else. For load-2 method or quad loads, they are very cost effective and pack 8 shells in super tight. The reason for the shape is to allow the pull of the shells to not require any top-out approach, and to not have the angle of pull perpendicular for your belt/chest/caddie, but instead at a more ergonomic angle. I have a couple of these and can get just under 4 second reloads with them. When I try to go faster, I get greedy with my grab and sometimes knock a shell off the third row. My best usage for these will be with specialty shells where I may need 2 at a time, or 4 at a time.....or 4, then 2, where I can set up a quad load followed by a load-2. When Tim and I discussed these caddies, I immediately liked the angled pull without the shells tipping top-out, but wanted a center gap like the 8-up Qualoads. These are great at belt level for anyone loading two or four shells at a time. The shape obviously caught some attention, but after getting them in hand and seing other caddies in person, it's apples and oranges.

NEW split style Deuling Deuces: Tim listens evidently! And these rock. I'm hoping to switch almost everything of mine over to these caddies. The retention is good and comparable to the 8-up Quaload. The gap in the middle isn't large enough to make the caddy massive, but large enough I don't disturb the next set of shells when getting aggressive. The angled pull feels natural and smooth as part of a backstroke from my chest rig or belt, then to the loading port. The shells come out clean and fast at that angle. Cutting the "top-out" move from the equation, and having the angle of pull in my stroke to the loading port, instead of pulling the shells out perpendicularly, seems to cut 1-2 "actions" from my load, making economy of motion seem like an easier task. Even with minimal practice lately, I was under 3.5 seconds within 20 minutes of practice and firmly believe I could spank a 3 sec par time with an hour more of practice or less. With the slight aesthetic change and more obvious pull angle difference, there is no way you will mistake this caddy as any other out there right now. This is a new beast in the shotgun loading race and I think it's gonna tough to out load anyone who puts a little time in with these. The wider footprint limits me to 16 shells on my chest rig and adds some flat spots to my normally rounded chest rig, so you can guess what I'm hinting to Tim that I would like to see right? I'd love to see these split into 4-up Deuling Deuces to mount 5 of them on my chest rig for 20rds without my belt get being in the equation! Bring on your biggest and baddest shotgun stages!

I REALLY wish Tim could have gotten these designed and to me for the Rockcastle Shotgun match. I was elated to take 6th out of 115 in standard division, and win two stages (the two longest stages that required lots of loading and movement) there.....but I have to wonder if I could have done even better with these!

The video is short and to the point. I normally try to keep my elbow in tight, which should cut my time down a little further.