Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why mushroom the firing pin safety?

WARDOG

Not really sure what is going on with the area that you have the arrow pointed at, but the top corners are rounded off so the trigger bar has a smoother ride under it when the trigger is pulled.

Yes, that theoretically would be the answer, but what I've observed is tha during trigger pull, the bar, making contact with the safety, slide laterally by a good margin, actually giving trigger pull an unpleasant bump during the final phase of trigger pull. It seems that rounding the safety aggravates this..

The damage on the Titanium pin is from the striker impact on it. Titanium is a light brittle metal that tends to chunk off when it gets battered. As was stated above the reason for the rounding and polishing on top is to give the fin on the trigger bar a smoother transition across the top of the safety. The round top does want to push the fin to the outside because it does not contact the safety in the center and this causes the striker to hit the safety because the fin cannot depress the safety fully and get the safety completely out of the way before the striker falls. I much prefer the radiused and polished flat safety plungers.

Edited by bowenbuilt

Yes, that theoretically would be the answer, but what I've observed is tha during trigger pull, the bar, making contact with the safety, slide laterally by a good margin, actually giving trigger pull an unpleasant bump during the final phase of trigger pull. It seems that rounding the safety aggravates this..

This also happens on the stock pin, it's due to the torque of the trigger bar as it moves that causes this. I round off my safety pins but I also use a Gen4 trigger bar with the bump to help keep the bar lined up on the pin. When I round the pin I really just round the edges and try to keep the top as flat as possible.