Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CED brass Tornado

outerlimits

If I were to buy one I'd probably get the Frankford Arsenal one. Holds more, the separator is made by Berry, in a multitude of colors depending on which dealer sells it. Graf's has them for a little under $30.00.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/27279

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/5379

Edited by Steve RA

CED would have made a nicer video if they would have removed all the "Made In China" boxes from the back drop.

Sorry, I know we all buy their stuff but it kinda' stinks. being reminded of where our money goes. :(

Maybe that's a good thing. Let's see a "Made In USA" product that we all want to own. Certainly this can be achieved. :)

Steve

Looks like a great tumbler. I love the idea of the reverse direction idea, and all the settings. though I wonder if any of that actually gets you cleaner brass over say the frankford one which just has an on switch and timer...

also, rather than either seperator I'd go with this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/375973/frankford-arsenal-media-transfer-magnet-for-stainless-steel-media

magnet seperator. $14.

375973.jpg

Edited by BeerBaron

Think you would find, in a back to back test, that the separator works better and faster. The magnet won't remove pins from inside the cases, so, somehow you have to get the pins out of the cases before using it.

I use the Berry separator, mine is green from Cabelas, dry - no water in it - and just pour the pins out of it back into the tumbler.

Also, you don't have to worry about whether the pins are dry or not. I've been using the XL pins from Pellets, LLC for years now and put them back in the tumbler wet with no problems.

I've never given my process too much thought. I use a Thumler Tumbler.

I use the Berrys Separator also (mine is from RCBS) but I fill the bottom section with water.

I use the "Frankford Arsenal Media Transfer Magnet" to pickup the pins and transfer/move them back into the tumbler. (never occurred to me that this gadget would be a separator)

I store the pins wet inside the tumbler. (I had no idea anyone would dry the pins before storing them.)

I've never thought of using the separator without water... I'll have to give this a try. I'm always looking for a way to save a bit of time, effort and/or money.

Oh yeah, regarding the CED tornado... Nice design but a little pricey. It will be interesting to see how the electronics hold up over the years to the damp environment.

I've got a five year old out of warranty CED 7000 timer currently in route back to CED for repair. Hopefully they will be able to get it working again, but as the core electronics are outsourced, they say they can't be certain they can repair it.