Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Cleaning Methods

Paull12

I just got a heat/vibration cleaning device that I want to use to deep clean the internal parts of my Glocks. I know taking out the trigger and other related parts is not that difficult but I wanted to see if this would work. Others who have used this device use either Simple Green or Hoppes #9 as the cleaning solution. Do any of you have any experience using this type of cleaner? If so, what do you use for the cleaning solution and how well does it work on internal parts?

I tried a (non Glock) barrel in a diluted simple green solution in my ultrasonic for a few minutes. Corrosion started almost immediately. Honestly it doesn't take a whole lot to keep a Glock running well. I think some ranges, etc, use a solution designed for gun cleaning in an ultrasonic to clean assembled firearms.

If you haven't had your Glock apart already there are some great resources available to you locally and online.The parts are all easily cleaned by conventional means.

Personally if I were to experiment with it again I might try some of Brownell's products. If you do use a water based cleaner I'd make sure to dry thoroughly and apply some sort of corrosion inhibitor.

I use a Hornady Sonic Cleaner and have tried the Hornady and Lyman solutions (I dilute to 20:1) and have found my preference is the Lyman solution. It seems to clean better for me.

After a double rinse in hot water and blowing dry with compressed air, no corrosion, I lube as I assemble. Never had any issues doing things this way.

The original Simple Green was said to be detrimental to aluminum. They now make an aluminum friendly formulation. I've never dropped a whole Glock lower in my cleaner because I don't think it would do the grip tape any good, but I do use it for 1911/2011 and shotgun triggers. After removing from the cleaner and rinsing with clean water and using compressed air to blow off remaining water, I put the whole gun/trigger into a tub of diesel. Diesel likes water and adds a light film to stop corrosion.

Something to watch out for, I cleaned a Perazzi trigger assembly in once and returned later to find most of the pins in the assembly had vibrated out and disassembled the trigger. :)

I tried it for the first time with my Glock 27. Did the normal take down, barrel, slide, guiderod/spring assembly, frame with trigger assembly still attached. Filled the ultrasonic cleaner with Hoppes #9, enough to cover all the parts and cleaned them for 6 minutes. The frame/trigger assembly was cleaner than it ever was as was the slide. I did the barrel for 3 more minutes and used only about 5 patches to get it shiny clean. Used canned air to blow out the excess Hoppes, rubbed all the parts down with a pre=lubed gun wipe, and added a dab of gun oil on the slide mating surfaces. I don't think my G27 has ever been cleaner. I am going to try the Hornady gun cleaning solution next to see how well that works.

• 1 month later...

Wow, you guys take cleaning to a whole new level. LoL. I just head to the range, field strip, and spot or two of oil in the shinny parts and sha-zam! I'm a shootin" fool.

I was told once that a dirty gun is a happy gun. (meaning that the gun is being shot, and shot often) I clean my gun like I do my Saturday night bath. I don't want to do it, but I have to.

Besides, I heard tell once that ya could be a Glock in the dishwasher. Or was that one of them range myths that was started back in the day by the 1911 groupies that all wore them "fishing" vest to hide the fact that they were packing guns? (yes, I carried a 1911 back in the day)

**g*******