Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range outing... Should I go with the XD? Or something else?

SmCaudata

Let me start off by saying that I'm brand new to pistol shooting. Grew up with long guns, mostly trap shooting. I took some time off and now in my 30's looking at doing pistol shooting for fun and possibly competition. I've met some cool people at the range so far and some entry fees locally are about the cost of a range outing so I figure, why not...

Anyway, so I've shot pistols all of two times. The first was with a .22 LR S&W revolver and then I rented some guns. I got an XDs in 9mm due to a special at my range. I also rented a P-09 and SP-01 tactical. I know the CZs I was using white box Federal Ammo (range supplied). The XD ammo came in a baggie as it was a special deal, but I believe it was the same ammo.

I like the feel of the CZs in my hands and the difference in muzzle flip is very noticeable. Also, my wife may shoot with me and the CZ will likely be soft enough for her to enjoy at first. The XD actually bruised my right middle finger with the trigger guard...

Anyway, here are my targets. Again, this is my second time shooting pistols so I'm sure I'll get better...

The XD target.

post-54463-0-04080100-1403366143_thumb.j

The two to the low left were at about 7m for my first two shots. The two to the right were the next two at the same distance trying to compensate.

The rest in and near the middle were a mix of 7m and 10m

The group near the top was me pushing out to 15mg. I was aiming for the "8". It shot low but VERY consistent. That is 6 rounds.

The SP-01 at 15m

post-54463-0-30850800-1403366015_thumb.j

The P-09 at 15m

post-54463-0-14641400-1403366072_thumb.j

For size reference, the width "9" oval on the XD target is about the same as the diameter of the black area of the CZ targets.

Does this mean that the CZs just aren't quite right for me? Or will I likely be able to tighten the groups as I learn? My feeling is that the CZ's are just bigger and I have a bit more "sway" in the gun than I did with the lightweight XDs. My thought is that with time and practice this will decrease. The other thought is that perhaps the grip is just bigger on the CZ's so I am getting some rotation with the trigger pull. Not sure if that will go away with practice.

What do you guys think?

Edited by SmCaudata

I don't think you can make any real judgments this early in the game re: accuracy.

You need to work on accuracy a bit - take your time, work on trigger control.

I'd pick the gun you like best (CZ?) and put lots of rounds downrange - use that

one gun, and then go out to the next local match, tell the director you're brand

new - and have a ball.

Bring along a good holster, ear & eye protectors. :cheers:

Just need to work on trigger control.

I recently got an AccuShadow, but shot better with my other guns. 2 weeks of dry fire practice and the next outing showed that I now can shoot it as well as my others. I usually shoot 1911's, glocks and M&P's.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Any pistol you are comfortable shooting with some dry firing practice, range time on trigger press and sight alignment will give you great accuracy. I personally started competing with a Glock 17 shooting production and were able to shoot very good at it and when I switch to CZ Shadow earlier this year, it took some adjusting but once I get used to CZ, I prefer this over Glock, but that's just me.

The only thing you an tell this early is how the gun feels in your hands. if the CZ felt better get it. I compete with both XDs and CZs. Both are good guns it just depends on what you like and want more.