Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which .40 bullet weight shoots softer?

kcobean

I know this is a complicated question because powder selection influences the answer, but I'm curious. I've always shot 165gr bullets at 1000 FPS (or higher) to make major PF. But I know alot of people choose to shoot 180gr bullets at lower velocities. If the goal is to make the softest/flattest shooting gun that will make major PF, which one is better?

165gr @ 1000 FPS

or

180gr @ 920 FPS

If it helps, I've always shot Titegroup. I'd love to switch to N320, but it's almost impossible to find.

I'm using 200s and can tell the difference between those and 180s. It's not an earth shattering difference. If a case of 180s tumbled into my lap I'd shoot them without hesitation. But given the choice I go 200s.

Following the adage of using heaviest bullet and fastest powders for lowest felt recoil, I actually tried 220s first. But that's a seriously long bullet and didn't feed well in my M&P. I think those require a 1911-based frame for the longer loading those shooters can get away with.

I think this all comes down to personal preference. Do you like a quicker snap or a slower push? The slower push(180s,200s) is what most people like. If you like a quicker snap(155s, 165s). You need to shoot both to discover which is "best" for you.