Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 slide on double stack frame.

Ryandodge

Hello all I have a question I have looked all over online and received no definite answer. My question is can i take my 1911 45 acp slide and mount it on a 2011 or another double stack frame without any gunsmithing. i heard there is a feed ramp issue. I would like to know cause i am shooting a Springfield xdm that is all decked out for limited/limited 10 but i like the double stack 1911/2011 and would like to shoot that but if i can put a frame on my slide I will do that.

The hi-cap 2011 style frames are over size. All will need to be fitted to your slide. If your 45 is a standard feed ramp barrel then you will need a standard ramp frame. If the barrel is a ramped barrel then you will need a frame that is cut for the style of ramp the barrel is.

It is possible to fit the slide to frame using just files but it is not best practice. Precision milling is ideal. Have a pro fit it for the best possible outcome.

Couple things....

Yes the frame will have to be fit to slide.

Most new frames come uncut for "ramp" so that will work with your unramoed .45 barrel.

You'll only get 13 or 14 rounds in a hicap STI frame in .45 - that why most STI are 40 or 9mm/38 Super which gets you 20+

If you are set on . 45, By the time you get a frame , mags, and have it fit you will be over a grand. Bet you can find a used StI in .45 with mags on gunbroker for under $1500, they tend to sell much cheaper than .40 or other calibers.