Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

hammer mounted firing pin qt...

Luv2rideWV

On some of the old S&W revolvers I've owned, the hammer mounted firing pin seemed to flop up and down a bit. Guns that did this were well worn model 10's and 15's. The guns worked fine. Was that normal? Would that have ever caused any problems? Worth fixing?

I just wanted to know.

On the older ones the firing pin was floppy because it had to pivot as it entered the firing pin bushing. Occasionally, it would be in the up position as it entered the frame, catch on the frame at the top and break off. They did 3 things to remedy this. On some models they filed a notch at the top of the slot for the hammer for clearance. Later they shortened the firing pin (1988) and put a spring behind it to hold it in the down position until it got to the firing pin bushing. The actual name for these parts is Hammer Nose and Hammer Nose Bushing. Now you know The Rest of the Story. ;)

These firing pins are no longer produced by S&W and are getting hard to find and expensive.

Just got some in From Ron Powers. He is making them and they are supposed to be stronger than stock and they come with a Rivet and spring.

He make them for K,L, and N frame.

Brownell's has them.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/hammer-parts/hammer-blocks/hammer-nose-kit-for-s-w-n-frame-sku713000169-60393-126186.aspx?sku=713-000-169

On some of the old S&W revolvers I've owned, the hammer mounted firing pin seemed to flop up and down a bit. Guns that did this were well worn model 10's and 15's. The guns worked fine. Was that normal? Would that have ever caused any problems? Worth fixing?

I just wanted to know.

Perfectly normal. Don't try to change it.