Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DPMS low profile Upper for a lefty?

jhugz

Title says it all. Any lefties try the DPMS low profile upper for a build? I'm a little concerned with taking brass to the dome without the deflector. They look cool I just want to make sure I can stand to shoot them. Any lower recommendations with the upper?

Do a search, there is a lot of discussion about leftys and long guns in lots of different threads...

I'm a lefty and I use low profile ARs just fine, in fact I prefer "right handed" long guns and pistols. I will add ambi controls to ARs and reverse the safety on shotguns. Its easier to clear jams and such because I am seeing directly into the action. A deflector is a must, even for most rightys.

jmho

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

The DPMS upper receiver I have (thick walled, no forward assist, no shell deflector, no ejection port cover) hasn't been a problem for me (a lefty) with any ammo that I've tried.

Lowers are just hangers for parts - no need to spend much money on them. The expensive ones don't really work any better than the inexpensive ones. Buy whatever is selling for the price you want to pay.

I have the upper receiver you are referencing, it is on a precision build and is extremely accurate, very thick and heavy. Brass seems to fling out of that thing way out at 3'oclock on a rifle gas system. Most shells seem to hit the back of the ejector port due to the increased thickness, but that gun normally sees heavy and hot match ammo.

That being said, for a lefty I think a shell deflector would be nice. My 3-Gun rifle now that I look at it does have marks on the shell deflector... as a lefty that would mean brass in the face without a deflector.

Well they make this model in a lefty upper that I just found. Think I will just go with that. Thanks for the replies.

Interesting! Just remember that this is a very heavy upper.

The Samson Evolution free float looks like it was made for this upper... it took a little milling l to get the anti rotation tabs to fit, but it looks sweet.

Well they make this model in a lefty upper that I just found. Think I will just go with that. Thanks for the replies.

Interesting! Just remember that this is a very heavy upper.

The Samson Evolution free float looks like it was made for this upper... it took a little milling l to get the anti rotation tabs to fit, but it looks sweet.

I mean how much heavier? The build is a lightweight Open Division AR. Am I breaking the bank with weight on this when I'm using a voodoo barrel and skeleton stock?

I wish I weighed it before I built it... This is completely a guess, but maybe 50% heavier?

If you want super lightweight, and very accurate, get the VLTOR MUR with just the shell deflector no FA (but then its not a lefty)... When it came I seriously thought they forgot to put it in the box.

Long gun lefty shooter.

Things to consider:

The DPMS LO Pro is well built and sturdy, but has no deflector( a possible safety issue for a LH operator) and will not fit a standard mil-spec upper receiver block to lock in the other upper parts.

Spikes tactical has a slickside upper WITH a deflector, mil- spec that I went to . . . working fine. Fits the Mil- spec upper receiver blocks for assembly and there is no interferance with the FW assist for a good ambi charging handle for a LH operator, and is reasonably priced.

The Spikes also has the M4 cutouts for the M4 bbl ramps which the DPMS may or may not have.

I like having the deflector, although with an adjustable gas block the ejection can be tuned more . . If you are running stock the Spikes is a good unit to consider.

will not fit a standard mil-spec upper receiver block to lock in the other upper parts.

This^^^ if you are building it yourself, and don't have a Geissele reaction rod, you are gonna have problems... same for the VLTOR MUR

will not fit a standard mil-spec upper receiver block to lock in the other upper parts.

This^^^ if you are building it yourself, and don't have a Geissele reaction rod, you are gonna have problems... same for the VLTOR MUR

It's true that they don't fit a standard upper receiver block, but... I haven't had any problems assembling them without a Geissele reaction rod (I've assembled a few).

It's true that they don't fit a standard upper receiver block, but... I haven't had any problems assembling them without a Geissele reaction rod (I've assembled a few).

You are correct, there are a few others, I didn't mean the reaction rod is the only one out there... its just what i ended up going with after looking at the options.. The names escape me of the others, but like these...

pin_vise_block_blk_1024x1024.jpg?v=13773